Mixing lye and oil at room temperature

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't used a thermometer in years. I bought one when I first started and only used it a handful or so times times. I did soap at room temp until I increased my Lard/Palm amounts and now prefer to warm the oils up a bit more. Lye is always at room temp.

Lard especially soaped to cool can leave a layer of un-saponfied goop running through your soap. I do not check temps but I do make sure my soaping bucket feels warmer than my normal room temp when soaping high lard, tallow and palm. Although I really have only noticed the problem with lard and has happened even with gelled soap.

I still use my thermometer on occasion. I need one anyway for lotion. If you find that you are having issues, using a thermometer to get a precise reading can be very helpful. I am very prone to getting impatient and mixing when my oils are too hot, and getting seizing, separation, etc.

I love thermometers and use them often.... or rather I should say that I love the Thermapen hubby bought me last year, and I use it often..... for soapmaking, lotionmaking, bread baking, meat roasting, etc... :)

I second what Dixie said- that if you are experiencing issues in your batches of soap, getting a precise temp reading can be very helpful.

IrishLass :)

I am doing the room temp, my hand is my thermometer for oils, touching outside the plastic bowl, and lye I go down to 29 Celsius
Every soap is good

Latest posts

Back