Mixing HP and CP in one mold

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok my soapy friends I am having a heck of a time with this custom order and fragrance. It turns to soap on a stick almost instantly so would it be possible to HP the bottom with the fragrance and then pour CP soap on top so that I can do the design they want on the upper portion? I would do the HP first and pour it in the mold and then pour the CP on the top a few minutes later. Will the layers meld together and stay together or is it likely to come apart? Also will there be any effect on the CP soap with the HP on the bottom?

It should stick together. Especially if you CPOP'd it to force gel with the top half.

Grace of From Grace to You, has a tutorial on welding soap together using a bit of moisture between the parts, and then CPOP to heat the parts and as a result, they will stick together. I've done it with a minor adaptation, and the soap never fell apart during it's entire use for handwashing and in the shower. But in my soap all parts were CP soap, so I cannot say positively that it will hold.

If you find that it does start to fall apart after you cut it, then I would suggest you moisten the surfaces you want to stick to each other, wrap the soap in plastic wrap and then CPOP as described in this tutorial:

Grace doesn't use plastic wrap, so you don't necessarily need it, but I used it to keep the parts securely tight together and the plastic wrap does not melt in the oven at 200° so I prefer my adaptation. But if you don't want to use plastic wrap, that's fine, too.

DeeAnna has posted a few times about a similar method for an entire loaf of soap, even after cut, wherein you put it all back in the loaf mold and CPOP again, which heats up the soap up enough to force gel in a soap with incomplete gel. It will also work to weld the broken parts together if you add the moisture between the layers. Her post was about correcting partial gel, but it's much the same process except you would add the moisture to force the weld.

My experience is that if it holds together when cutting, then it will hold together for the life and use of the soap. I do, however, always do this method while the HP is still hot/warm and then CPOP (look at me learning proper acronyms!) the whole loaf/slab, so I can't speak to doing it any other way. I hope it works for you and that you share pictures!

Well I made the CP first and had it just at emulsion and then I did the HP and as soon as I poured it I blended the CP one more time to a light/medium trace and poured it on top. Then I put it in the oven. I let it sit for 3 days before I cut it but it seems to have worked.

Latest posts

Back