Mixing Essential Oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oscott

Reaction score
When I mix essential oils, for example, grapefruit and tea tree. Is it better to mix and still shoot for .5oz per lb combined or do I double and add each oil at .5oz per lb? Doubling just seems will make the scents overpowering.

I know that it will not always be 50/50 depending on the power of the oil. Just though I would get some pointers.

I want to ask before experimenting.

When I mix essential oils, for example, grapefruit and tea tree. Is it better to mix and still shoot for .5oz per lb combined or do I double and add each oil at .5oz per lb? Doubling just seems will make the scents overpowering.

I know that it will not always be 50/50 depending on the power of the oil. Just though I would get some pointers.

You would still use just .5 oz of the blend.

I'm interested in blending lemon and tea tree but not at a 50/50 ratio. I think the tea tree is dominant and I've read that citrus scents tend to fade so I'm wondering if I need to do a 60 lemon 40 tea tree mix. What do you think?

No need to double it, but you might want to consider using different ratios of possibly something else instead of grapefruit. Citrus EOs like lemon, orange, grapefruit are usually hard to retain scent-wise in CPS. Tea tree on the other hand does stick around. If you are looking to add a layer of citrus to the blend you may want to consider adding something else as well. For instance, if I want a lemony scent I usually add may chang, lemongrass and or bergamot.

I'm interested in blending lemon and tea tree but not at a 50/50 ratio. I think the tea tree is dominant and I've read that citrus scents tend to fade so I'm wondering if I need to do a 60 lemon 40 tea tree mix. What do you think?

If you are looking for a lemony scent that stick around, you might want to consider may chang, lemongrass and or bergamot EOs. Lemon EO will definitely fade in CPS as much as I wish that it didn't.

Depends on the amount. How much total are you thinking about adding? e.g. grams per kg or ounces per lb
Here's a great resource from Kenna of Modern Soap Making on using essential oils in soap – she's awesome and so generous with the info that she shares on all aspects of soap making:

I'm making a 64 ounce batch and I was going to use a total of 3.20 ounces of essential oils. I used the Bramble Berry Fragrance calculator, which I've used in the past with good success but I'm definitely open to trying new resources like the one you recommended. Bramble Berry suggests using a max of 1.92 ounces of patchouli for the whole batch so I was thinking maybe using 40% patchouli and 60% tea tree since patchouli is so strong.

I'm making a 64 ounce batch and I was going to use a total of 3.20 ounces of essential oils. I used the Bramble Berry Fragrance calculator, which I've used in the past with good success but I'm definitely open to trying new resources like the one you recommended. Bramble Berry suggests using a max of 1.92 ounces of patchouli for the whole batch so I was thinking maybe using 40% patchouli and 60% tea tree since patchouli is so strong.
Oh I thought you were looking to blend lemon and tea tree. I would be hesitant about mixing tea tree with patchouli. I don't think they compliment each other overly well (could be wrong). Scents that blend well with tea tree include, bergamot, eucalyptus, lavender, rosemary, peppermint, ylang ylang, black pepper, basil.

Oh I thought you were looking to blend lemon and tea tree. I would be hesitant about mixing tea tree with patchouli. I don't think they compliment each other overly well (could be wrong). Scents that blend well with tea tree include, bergamot, eucalyptus, lavender, rosemary, peppermint, ylang ylang, black pepper, basil.

I changed directions without announcing it, I'm sorry! I realized that I didn't want a weak lemon so I went through my oils and found patchouli. On a lark I googled tea tree and patchouli and lo and behold, it's a thing. I smelled them together and it's pretty intriguing.

I changed directions without announcing it, I'm sorry! I realized that I didn't want a weak lemon so I went through my oils and found patchouli. On a lark I googled tea tree and patchouli and lo and behold, it's a thing. I smelled them together and it's pretty intriguing.
lol all good! I thought I was confused anyway (it happens all to easily these days). Would love to hear how it turns out in the finished soap!

lol all good! I thought I was confused anyway (it happens all to easily these days). Would love to hear how it turns out in the finished soap!

It's only been ten days but my tea tree patchouli soap smells really nice. It has mellowed from being an overwhelming pine-sol scent to a fragrant woodsy, slightly medicinal fragrance. It'll be interesting to see what the next four weeks bring.

It's only been ten days but my tea tree patchouli soap smells really nice. It has mellowed from being an overwhelming pine-sol scent to a fragrant woodsy, slightly medicinal fragrance. It'll be interesting to see what the next four weeks bring.

Thanks for the update @Adri71 that sounds lovely!

Hi Adri71,

Have you used dark patchouli or regular patchouli - I'm just curious... 🙂

Hi Adri71,

Have you used dark patchouli or regular patchouli - I'm just curious... 🙂
Sorry for the long delay in responding, life has been crazy. No, I haven't used dark patchouli but I have used regular and I love it. It's one of my favorite scents not just in soap. I frequently burn incense and it's my go to stick.

Latest posts

Back