Mixing essential oils and fragrance oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DucknBear Gracie

Reaction score
Helloooo again
Anyone have any experience mixing essential oils and fragrance oils in CP soap? I plan on experimenting for myself tomorrow (very exciting! haven't experimented in almost a year now, used to be my favourite thing to do!) but I always love hearing other peoples experiences - I will try and add my findings (if I remember) in case it helps anyone else!
have a good day! <3 :)

Anyone have any experience mixing essential oils and fragrance oils in CP soap?
Yes, me! I believe that EO + FO helps stick the essential oil fragrance.

I'm currently working my way through WSP's list of ready-made EO/FO blends. Use the Fragrance Calc get a Drop Down List of all that are available. Just type an "A" into the box to access the whole list.

Look for popular combos like "Bay Rum" and "Lemon Verbena" for inspiration. I'm using long-lasting Orange Clove in a liquid soap/foamer right now. The lovely fragrance wafts up when I wash my hands at the sink. And it doesn't irritate my hands like FOs sometimes do.

If you want to, you can list the EOs and FOs you have on hand for input before experimenting.

Because I'm retired, I'm not making many B & B products any more so I have little time for testing blends. I'm looking forward to reading what you come up with. :nodding:

Last edited:
I use a good sandalwood FO with essential oils in some of my blends. I have also used coconut FO with peppermint EO in a winter blend.
Oooh, coconut and peppermint sounds lovely, are you in the UK? I'm yet to find a decent coconut FO (in fact most the FO I ended up testing weren't great, we went for just EOs, not sure if there's something to using FO that Ive missed maybe!) I had a lady who really wanted coconut B&B soaps and I spent ages hunting, we ended up going for lemon instead but I'm still on the hunt, I'm not ready to give up!

Yes, me! I believe that EO + FO helps stick the essential oil fragrance.

I'm currently working my way through WSP's list of ready-made EO/FO blends. Use the Fragrance Calc get a Drop Down List of all that are available. Just type an "A" into the box to access the whole list.

Look for popular combos like "Bay Rum" and "Lemon Verbena" for inspiration. I'm using long-lasting Orange Clove in a liquid soap/foamer right now. The lovely fragrance wafts up when I wash my hands at the sink. And it doesn't irritate my hands like FOs sometimes do.

If you want to, you can list the EOs and FOs you have on hand for input before experimenting.

Because I'm retired, I'm not making many B & B products any more so I have little time for testing blends. I'm looking forward to reading what you come up with. :nodding:
Thank you for this advice! Ended up going for just an EO blend of lemon, cedarwood and ginger (very yummy) as most the FO I tried were very dramatic (seizing and going solid super quick) or didn't smell anything like how they were supposed to, which was pretty disappointing! I don't know if I'm missing something maybe, I've had little success with using FO so far (I haven't used them much, I like using EO as they're more simple and my eczema doesn't mind most of them, I haven't had an issue yet, but I always a little worried of FO and my skin, although my soaps aren't just for me, I would rather not sell anything that I can't also use!) I would like to dive into FO more for the benefits (longer lasting/ helping EO stick/ cheaper etc) and also there's so many more scent options with them, I just can't seem to get them to work for me, especially as I do like to make designs! If you have any more advice on using FO, I would really appreciate it, no worries if not though!

If you have any more advice on using FO, I would really appreciate it,
You might experiment with adding FOs to EOs and EO Blends

Lavender FO + Lavender EO + Vanilla FO = Calming
Any Citrus i.e., Orange FO + EO Blend Litsea, Lemon Lime
*Mix 1 part Clove Bud EO + 3 parts Cinnamon Bark EO then add 1 part of this blend to any Fall/Winter FO. Also pairs nicely with Orange FO

Actually, just let your nose be your guide. Take time out to play.

SHORT STORY: When I first started blending (YEARS ago) I would set aside a morning or afternoon. I would write at least 3 options down and make them one at a time, using drops on a cotton ball set on a square of tinfoil. Wrap the foil around the cotton ball and stick the written note on it to close it. Then open and sniff over the next 2 weeks or so.

Sub an FO for one or more of the EOs in the formula. For example, Vanilla, Sandlewood, Rose, Oakmoss are all FOs that work well as subs for expensive EOs

https://www.modernsoapmaking.com/blog/create-your-own-essential-oil-blends-for-soapmaking/

Oooh, coconut and peppermint sounds lovely, are you in the UK? I'm yet to find a decent coconut FO (in fact most the FO I ended up testing weren't great, we went for just EOs, not sure if there's something to using FO that Ive missed maybe!) I had a lady who really wanted coconut B&B soaps and I spent ages hunting, we ended up going for lemon instead but I'm still on the hunt, I'm not ready to give up!
No, I am in the U.S. I use exotic coconut from Crafters Choice.

A bit late to this party - but I use FO with EO in almost every batch. I started doing this to compensate for my initial desire to use only essential oils in soap ( until I figured out that it was too expensive, and I couldn't get all the fragrances I wanted) so my end result was to always combine complementary EOs to satisfy myself that all my soaps had EO in them. I also use a lot of citrus EOs (even though I know the scent doesn't hold) as a means to offset accelerating FOs. Citrus can slow down trace, so by adding sweet orange or similar I can work wiht FOs that otherwise might move too fast for me.

A bit late to this party - but I use FO with EO in almost every batch. I started doing this to compensate for my initial desire to use only essential oils in soap ( until I figured out that it was too expensive, and I couldn't get all the fragrances I wanted) so my end result was to always combine complementary EOs to satisfy myself that all my soaps had EO in them. I also use a lot of citrus EOs (even though I know the scent doesn't hold) as a means to offset accelerating FOs. Citrus can slow down trace, so by adding sweet orange or similar I can work wiht FOs that otherwise might move too fast for me.
ooh, using citrus EO to slow trace is interesting, i’ve had very little luck with any FO all the once’s i’ve tried trace so quickly - I’ll give this ago, this is very helpful advice for me! thank you!

You might experiment with adding FOs to EOs and EO Blends

Lavender FO + Lavender EO + Vanilla FO = Calming
Any Citrus i.e., Orange FO + EO Blend Litsea, Lemon Lime
*Mix 1 part Clove Bud EO + 3 parts Cinnamon Bark EO then add 1 part of this blend to any Fall/Winter FO. Also pairs nicely with Orange FO

Actually, just let your nose be your guide. Take time out to play.

SHORT STORY: When I first started blending (YEARS ago) I would set aside a morning or afternoon. I would write at least 3 options down and make them one at a time, using drops on a cotton ball set on a square of tinfoil. Wrap the foil around the cotton ball and stick the written note on it to close it. Then open and sniff over the next 2 weeks or so.

Sub an FO for one or more of the EOs in the formula. For example, Vanilla, Sandlewood, Rose, Oakmoss are all FOs that work well as subs for expensive EOs

https://www.modernsoapmaking.com/blog/create-your-own-essential-oil-blends-for-soapmaking/
I know this is an old post, but how do you calculate safe usage rates when using both FO and Eo?

I know this is an old post, but how do you calculate safe usage rates when using both FO and Eo?
See Post #6 above.

Honestly? These days, I just choose an EO/FO blend from WSP's list of 200+ blends.
Then I use WSP's Fragrance Calculator to determine the amount to use. :thumbs:

NOTE: I found the easiest way to search blends is to use the drop down menu from the fragrance calc to see what interests me. Then I enter it into the search box to go right to it for more details.

Back