Mixing colors

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Ziegler

Circle Z soaps
Reaction score
Has anyone tried mixing a neon pigment with a mica pigment of the same color in order to get a brighter color in the final soap? For example; I was thinking about mixing a little neon red, with my rose red mica to get a brighter red instead of a pink or light red. The neons are much brighter when mixed in the soap. Just a thought and any comment will help.

Has anyone tried mixing a neon pigment with a mica pigment of the same color in order to get a brighter color in the final soap? For example; I was thinking about mixing a little neon red, with my rose red mica to get a brighter red instead of a pink or light red. The neons are much brighter when mixed in the soap. Just a thought and any comment will help.
Yes, you can do that. I've done it several times. However, red is a very hard color to achieve. IF the color generally turns barn red, I add a little neon pink, if it comes out on the pinkish side I add a little red oxide.
However, now I use the "True Red Set" you can get from Mad Micas. It's 2 micas and 1 neon that you mix in equal parts to get a (for real!!) true Christmas/vermilion type red.

Oh yes you can. As jcandle said above, it's a common line of attack for getting a good red without hugely saturating your finished soap. I mix a burgandy red with a neon red at 2:1 or 1:1 to get a good red. Similarly I have added a yellow oxide to a yellow mica when I've needed a touch more oomph to the yellow. You'll want to use the neon with a lighter hand as the pigments have a lot more power behind them. I try to keep my lather white or only lightly colored.

That's great. I thought my idea might be seen as crazy or foolish. I make and sell custom nail polish and I know what I can and can't do with it but I wasn't for sure about soap. I like the idea of using the oxides to boost the color. I have found a lot of beautiful shades of oxides and some I have created myself. Has anyone used hydrated chromium green? It is one of my favorites. Also does the FDA list the colors that are safe for soaps in specific or just safe for the skin. There's a company who sells on etsy and Amazon called "uniglowproducts" and they carry some great neons but I can't get them to answer my questions about it being soap safe. I use their products in nail polish and have lots of it.

I’m pretty sure you will only get information on a particular mica being stable in soap from the supplier. Some micas will morph when exposed to the high ph environment in soap. If you can’t get a response from your supplier it might be best to make a batch of soap for testing them yourself.

I’m pretty sure you will only get information on a particular mica being stable in soap from the supplier. Some micas will morph when exposed to the high ph environment in soap. If you can’t get a response from your supplier it might be best to make a batch of soap for testing them yourself.
The only thing I need to know is what type of neon/fluorescent ingredient they are using. There is a slight distinction between fluorescent and neon sometimes but many times companies use these names for both items. It's a trouble spot in the cosmetic industry and many companies take advantage of the lack of proper wording and descriptions.

If you can't get a response from your supplier, I'd find a new supplier!

If you can't get a response from your supplier, I'd find a new supplier!

Yes, you can do that. I've done it several times. However, red is a very hard color to achieve. IF the color generally turns barn red, I add a little neon pink, if it comes out on the pinkish side I add a little red oxide.
However, now I use the "True Red Set" you can get from Mad Micas. It's 2 micas and 1 neon that you mix in equal parts to get a (for real!!) true Christmas/vermilion type red.
I ordered the true red set from mad mica. I can't wait to see what they look like.

I ordered the true red set from mad mica. I can't wait to see what they look like.
Don't be alarmed. You are going to look at those 3 colors and think there is NO WAY they will make a red, but please trust me, mix them each in equal amounts, and you will get the best red you've ever seen...

Don't be alarmed. You are going to look at those 3 colors and think there is NO WAY they will make a red, but please trust me, mix them each in equal amounts, and you will get the best red you've ever seen...
I'm sure they will. I mix a lot of different colors for making nail polish.

Back