Mixing Colorants into FO/EO??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tricia819

Reaction score
I am new and I know standard process is to mix your dry colorants into oil from the batch then add it back in later. My question is, why don't people mix the colorants into the FO/EO? It seems like, since they are often both added at about the same time, that it would make sense and you could have fewer bowls on your counter. Even if using more than one color, separate your fragrance into color containers, add color, mix lye/oils, add to color/FO/EO mix, proceeded as usual.

I can't be the only person who thought of this and yet, it doesn't seem to happen so, why am I wrong? Why is this a bad idea?

The only reason I can think that it would be a bad idea is if you have an FO/EO that accelerates trace. Then you would have to race the clock to get your colors smoothly mixed.

Also, depending on how many colors you're using, it might not be enough.

I add my fragrance to my oils before adding my lye. The only exception is really fast movers. Those I add after separating and coloring. Then I add my fragrance and only stir to mix. There's not enough colorant to really bother mixing it in wit my fragrance.

Ditto what all the others have said.

I strategically add my FO and my colorants at different times for different reasons. For example, if my FO is a mover, I'll add my colorant to my oils up front to make sure it is blended well and good before adding the FO and lye solution. And at other times I'll add the FO to only certain portions of my batter that contain no colorants, and vice versa. Many a well-laid plan would go south rather quickly for me if I were ever to mix the two together.

IrishLass :)

Back