Mixing clays to make purple soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetBubbleTreat

Reaction score
I have been wondering since I do not have purple Brazilian clay could I possibly mix Cambrian blue clay with rose kaolin clay and get purple if I put it in white soap batter???

You could try mixing a small amount of clay and making it a bit wet to have an idea of the color outcome. I don't have any experience with cambrian blue clay, but I can say from experience that indigo and pink clay do not make purple but brown in soap. But I imagine clays would mix better than plants and clays;)

Yes, I guess I should have mentioned that clays very rarely provide a vibrant color, and purples are especially difficult in lye soap (you didn't mention which type of soap you would be making). The lye monster tends to make many purples a grayish taupe color, including the Brazilian purple clay.

Ohhhh thank you for the indigo tip. I about used that in my lye water with rose kaolin clay. Glad I didn’t do that one. I’ll stick with my blue clay an rose clay and post pics of outcome when I cut it....I’ll make some tomorrow. Fingers crossed!!!

Ok soooo the clays didn’t work in my lye water and now I have brown soap!!! Ugh so not purple right now. Hopefully it will turn purple when it cures.

IMG_5282.JPG
and the soap is overheating just a little bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok soooo the clays didn’t work in my lye water and now I have brown soap!!! Ugh so not purple right now. Hopefully it will turn purple when it cures.
If anything, it's not a bleh shade of brown, judging by the pic. Excited to see it cut! Hope you are able to remedy the crack :)

Actually the crack is closing back up on its own. It’s 100% coconut oil with 20% superfat so they usually crack pretty good but close back up on their own....most of the time.

Even though it's not purple, I kinda like the color;) curious how it will look when cut and cured!

For purple color using only clays, I had good result with purple Brazilian Clay + white kaolin clay. 1 tsp each PPO.

Back