Mixing citrus EO with FO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loriag

Reaction score
This may be a silly question, but would using a citrus FO along with the same scent EO help hold the EO?
Reason I am asking is I don't have enough of my lemon FO, so wondered if adding lemon EO would help fragrance the batch to the same level or if it would eventually fade and leave it with just a light scent?

Hmm, interesting question. I can not answer. But it makes sense that the fragrance oil can anchor the fading lemon. If you mix the FO and the EO together and let it sit for a while and marry together beforehand, that might work very well. I'm sure there are fixatives in FO's, so it should at least fix some of the EO. Maybe let some clay soak in the EO-FO mix before adding it to the soap will make the EO stay even better. But I have no clue since I'm a beginner. Someone else have to answer you. But at least it is worth trying, then you will find out what happens. Maybe mixing lemon EO with lemon FO will give you a more natural and more complex lemon scent than using FO alone?

I do mix my FO and EO in Kaolin Clay as a standard practice before adding to my batches.

Latest posts

Back