Mixed oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madison

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I lost my labels for my oils that I mixed sometimes ago, I don't remember the exact percentage or what oils I mixed. I remeber reading a thread here about similar thing, I can't find it. Would someone kindly refer me to the thread.
Thank you.
Madi

What is the "similar thing" you're talking about, Madison? I don't understand.

What is the "similar thing" you're talking about, Madison? I don't understand.
I think Madison is talking about a thread recently that someone posted about using a mix of oils. I do not remember if the person was asking about using a shortening mix and not knowing the exact percentages or I kinda remember someone posting that they could not remember the exact oils they used in a mix. But my kinda remember...could be the figment of my imagination... :D I am beginning to think Alzheimer is contagious...Thank goodness I am going home tomorrow cheer.gif

I am assuming these are soaping oils? My personal choice would be to use Lard as my oil in the lye calculator - most oils are pretty close to the same SAP value, with lard being a bit higher than some. I would superfat at more than 5% (maybe 8 or 10) just be to sure. I'm sure you have a GENERAL IDEA of what's in there - you know there's nothing bad, right?

I agree that I would at least try it. With a superfat of at least 5% you will good margin for error. I never toss soap or ingredients without at least trying to save it. I can only assume you have an idea of the main oil in your batch and maybe some of the other oils. If so I would average the sap values and go with that number for sap

I think that working from an unknown percentage of known oils is one thing. An unknown percentage of unknown oils........

yes, I remember this was in the discussion in the thread.
Do you have any idea what the oils could be? Not what the mix is, but which oils you were mixing in general at that time. If the sap values are very similar it might be okay

yes and no, as I have different jars each one is different than the other. I was experimenting until I had to be very busy and I couldn't go on.

Last edited:
Label, label, label. Never put anything other than what is on the label into any container without putting on there exactly what is in there. Otherwise you get to toss the whole thing into the trash.

yes, that's right, labels are very important. I used handmade labels that fell off after while. Thank you Susie.

But still, SOME idea, surely? If I had a mixed oil I would know for certain that there is no argon oil in there, as I don't have any not have I had it here. I know which oils I have bought, so I know which oils it could be. Also, was it just liquid oils or also solid ones? Coconut oil in there or not?

Choose the oil with the lowest superfat and assume it is 100% that oil, SF at 4% so you'll end up with a higher superfat and it'll be safe enough.

The biggest issue is when it is a brilliant soap and you can't replicate it!

I am assuming these are soaping oils? My personal choice would be to use Lard as my oil in the lye calculator - most oils are pretty close to the same SAP value, with lard being a bit higher than some. I would superfat at more than 5% (maybe 8 or 10) just be to sure. I'm sure you have a GENERAL IDEA of what's in there - you know there's nothing bad, right?
yes, they are soaping oils, nothing has gone bad. I do have a general idea about what is in there. How about using them in making liquid soap for cleaning sinks and bathtubs, even if it's high in KOH it is still ok for cleaning. I still need to figure out the details.

But still, SOME idea, surely? If I had a mixed oil I would know for certain that there is no argon oil in there, as I don't have any not have I had it here. I know which oils I have bought, so I know which oils it could be. Also, was it just liquid oils or also solid ones? Coconut oil in there or not?

!
I do have coconut oil and tallow in two of them. The rest are liquid oils.

Choose the oil with the lowest superfat and assume it is 100% that oil, SF at 4% so you'll end up with a higher superfat and it'll be safe enough.
You made it easy TGE, thank you. I am sure this works with LS as well.

The biggest issue is when it is a brilliant soap and you can't replicate it!
hahaha, sure it's going to be the biggest issue, who knows?

I'm probably less picky than many. You would probably be able tell by look if the batch of oils, was, say, 50% coconut or something. Other than that, I wouldn't worry about it.

For example:
A 100gram batch 100% lard 5% superfat 13.11 g lye.
A 100gram batch 100% olive 5% superfat 12.73 g lye.

A 5% superfat covers that distance.

Did you have any really unusual mixes in there? Such as 50% coconut or 50% shea butter or something?

I'm probably less picky than many. You would probably be able tell by look if the batch of oils, was, say, 50% coconut or something. Other than that, I wouldn't worry about it.

For example:
A 100gram batch 100% lard 5% superfat 13.11 g lye.
A 100gram batch 100% olive 5% superfat 12.73 g lye.

A 5% superfat covers that distance.

Did you have any really unusual mixes in there? Such as 50% coconut or 50% shea butter or something?

Most of the oils are liquid oils, for experimenting making LS, no unusual mixes.
Here what I am thinking, if I am going to make LS, let's say I have OO, sunflower oil, and apricot kernel oil. They have KOH sap values respectively 0.19, 0.189, 0.195. I'll take OO as the main oil for all the amount since it has the lowest sap value. I'd like to add some CO then plug in calc. SF at 5% as if I have 2 oils.
In case I am going to make bar soap the NaOH sap values will be respectively 0.135, 0.135, 0.139.( Let's assume that I have HO for bar soap) then I either use OO or sunflower oil as main oil , then add any other oils and do the calculations with 5% SF. Did I get it right?

Back