Mission Impossible - Colours

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if you could replace the avocado with something like HO sunflower or HO safflower? Both are very pale. I know my genny shampoo bars are always a tannish color, probably from the avo but I've never tried to color them. Do you have any pics of uncolored bars? That might help figure out a color palette.

Why can you not avoid the avocado? Due to availability or cost or how you like the soap? There may be an acceptable substitute and who knows? You may find a recipe you like even better.

Sweet almond oil seems a decent replacement for avocado too, and it's light in color

I wonder if you could replace the avocado with something like HO sunflower or HO safflower? Both are very pale. I know my genny shampoo bars are always a tannish color, probably from the avo but I've never tried to color them. Do you have any pics of uncolored bars? That might help figure out a color palette.

Hi Obsidian,

So you just leave your bars that colour? You don't put a swirl of colour through them or anything?

My soap is very yellow. I have uploaded a photos but (not being a great photographer) it is yellower than that. I have uploaded a colour sample that is the right colour when it is first made. It fades over a few weeks but is still pretty yellow after 3 months.

I think this is why, as people have said, I will have to do a few tests and then wait for cure and then just use the right amount as tested despite the colour while I am mixing and trust it will be right in the end.

I often put a bit of TD in my base, if I am going to leave it uncoloured, to make it a bit whiter.

PJ

Irish Lass's Shampoo Soap.jpg

Yellow Colour.png

I only use that recipe for shampoo bars so no, I don't bother to color them and most of the time, I don't scent them either. I don't care for the recipe as a body bar, its not cleansing enough, I do use it on my face once in awhile though.

Mine aren't that yellow, they are more of a tannish. I'll get a pictures later.

Are you using unrefined avocado oil? That one has really dark green colour. I've been using it in the past at 5-10, sometimes even 20% and it made base colour quite green/yellow.
Now I use avocado oil from Australian Wholesale Oils, it is refined, so a bit lighter in colour.
TD will just lighten the base, it won't help with the overall base colour. Instead of blue, you'll get baby blue, instead of bright pink, baby pink, etc.

Are you using unrefined avocado oil? That one has really dark green colour. I've been using it in the past at 5-10, sometimes even 20% and it made base colour quite green/yellow.
Now I use avocado oil from Australian Wholesale Oils, it is refined, so a bit lighter in colour.
TD will just lighten the base, it won't help with the overall base colour. Instead of blue, you'll get baby blue, instead of bright pink, baby pink, etc.

Hi,

My Avocado Oil is refined. I get it from: New Directions http://www.newdirections.com.au

It seems their refined Avocado oil is a little cheaper?

Thanks for the TD info.

Latest posts

Back