Missing swirl??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammer

Reaction score
Can anyone explain why my thin line swirl did not go all the way through the loaf ? The pic on the right is the loaf cut horizontally one third down. I used CPOP did the oven cook this soap? Texture is strange also ??

Attachments

• EF275C5D-AB16-481D-97CE-7B001ED17366.jpeg
    EF275C5D-AB16-481D-97CE-7B001ED17366.jpeg
    176.9 KB · Views: 39
Short answer - soap is mean.

I'm thinking that your swirling tool was too thin? You really need it thicker than you might guess b/c it has to carry soap through soap that is getting cooler and thicker by the moment.

I understand the theory but i am not a great swirler myself. I think it's hugely dependent on the texture of the soap at the time and I haven't figured out the trick.

Also, was your stick rounded, pointy, or anything other than the same width at the bottom that it was at the top? And are you confident you succeeded in keeping it flat to the bottom all throughout the swirl?
Also, I know it didn't go to the bottom, but your design is lovely! 😍

Often this kind of merging happens when the batter is thinner than the ideal consistency.

I was using a chopstick I had it all the way down. I was wondering if my batter was too thin..... thank you

The weird texture is the result of the cpop. That is why I just use heating pads and towels to force gelling.

The weird texture is the result of the cpop. That is why I just use heating pads and towels to force gelling.
I CPOP as well- usually. Depending on the recipe, the loaf may gel without CPOP. My 100% CO soap went into gel just sitting on the counter in air-conditioned comfort.
It's hard for me to see texture from the photo, but maybe a bit of alien brains? If so, it's caused by overheating. And there are a million little culprits that can contribute to that, so without knowing exactly what was in your soap, the order they were added, and the temperatures involved for every step of the process, it'll be hard to narrow it down.

Latest posts

Back