Miss everyone!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to pop in and say hi! I'm still making soap, but of course I'm having a hard time making enough! I made 6 batches in one day during the first week I started teaching. Then, I made soap this week for the first time in almost 3 months! Soapy withdrawals y'all! Miss all the support here too.

Teaching is going ok! Although I realized it's not for me so I probably won't continue after this year is over.

I'm going to try to comment on at least one thread or so a day. It gets so hard when I can't read every thread that I just stop reading all of it. :(

Hope the thanksgiving holiday went well for those who celebrate it!

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to pop in and say hi! I'm still making soap, but of course I'm having a hard time making enough! I made 6 batches in one day during the first week I started teaching. Then, I made soap this week for the first time in almost 3 months! Soapy withdrawals y'all! Miss all the support here too.

Teaching is going ok! Although I realized it's not for me so I probably won't continue after this year is over.

I'm going to try to comment on at least one thread or so a day. It gets so hard when I can't read every thread that I just stop reading all of it. :(

Hope the thanksgiving holiday went well for those who celebrate it!

Hi, GalaxyMLP. I have missed your posts, so it's thanks for checking in.

I am sorry to hear that teaching doesn't feel like a good fit right now. Maybe that will change or maybe it won't, but hey, you're giving it your best shot and that's what's important.

Good to hear from you all!

I think I might have liked teaching 20 years ago. Teachers have just lost so much power in everything. They also have completely unrealistic expectations of them. The kids are burned out, I'm burned out, no one is having any fun at all. And honestly, they just don't pay enough for all of the stuff I have to do. It's a shame really. I also work in one of the lowest paying districts in the state of Florida (which is already a low paying state). I'm trying my best for sure, and I like being around the kids themselves, just not nearly enough to offset everything else.

I grew up with my mom teaching so I knew it wasn't going to be roses and daisies, but I just feel like I get torn down and have to rebuild everyday. I'm also extremely goal oriented and this job sucks the life out of that mindset. None of the goals are truly attainable. I can't function well with that.

Edit: but I have soap. And I'm so thankful for my soap! And my boyfriend too!

I retired from the education field. I have a teaching degree and a library science degree. I taught while I was a middle school librarian. I agree with what you said. The emphasis is on the kids making a good score on what we called the state, MAP test. I would never go into the teaching field, knowing what I know now.

Hi Galaxy, so nice to see you pop in. Sorry to hear that teaching doesn't seem to be your calling, but you gave it a shot. And you never know unless you try, so I hope at least you are glad to have found that out.

I'm very glad! And I do think the students like me as a teacher (not that that REALLY matters). They say I'm doing a great job! I just don't actually like doing it.

I'm really surprised how little I like it to be honest. I'm glad I didn't get my masters in this and I'm thankful that I always have at least one student who makes my day! There are a few that consistently get me to smile. It's a shame because I enjoy interacting and teaching the students. It's just ALL the other stuff that gets me!

Galaxy, I'm in Florida as well. I'm not a teacher; but I work with a few students who are going into education. They all tell me the same thing, when they did their student teaching they found that Common core and teaching to the FCAT sucks the life out of them and does a true disservice to the students.

Back when I was in school (we still did our homework with chisels...lol) things were so much different. I feel like we were taught how to LEARN.
We were taught to explore our world, and to digest and analyze a subject and come to our own conclusions and opinions.

Now, from what I'm told it's all about the curriculum and the test scores and the numbers. Now don't get me wrong, memorization and teaching by rote have their place, but I feel like I have a life long love of learning today because I LEARNED to LEARN.

Just my $.02.

Back