Mint oat flour

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Ziegler

Circle Z soaps
Reaction score
I'm thinking of doing a soothing mint oat flour CP soap and I don't know wether I should use a mint FO or menthol crystals.. If I go with the crystals, should I dissolve them in the cooled down lye water and what percentage of crystals should I use for a 50 ounce total weight.

I used menthol crystals in soap once - I used 1% and melted them in a bit of my batch oil (olive oil as I recall), then added them to the oils when they were dissolved. I wouldn't go over 2%, and I'd try a test batch at that rate. They are a bit 'tingly' and some people are quite sensitive to mints and menthol in certain... *um*...body areas.

I wondered if I could melt them in the oils, now I know. I was going to put a warning on the package about using it.

Personally I think using the Menthol is not worth it in a Wash off product and $$ for the menthol. It isn't on there long enough to do much.

Personally I think using the Menthol is not worth it in a Wash off product and $$ for the menthol. It isn't on there long enough to do much.
I agree. I am only using it for the scent. That is why I was wondering if I should use the FO or crystals. I should have been clearer. I said soothing, when I probably should have said refreshing.

Are menthol crystals cheaper than peppermint EO? That is refreshing and tingly. And it smells wonderful. Could always mix it with a cheaper FO. One of my favorites is equal parts peppermint and eucalyptus EOs, but I've been thinking of swapping out the eucalyptus for an FO to cut down costs.

I have used menthol crystals once, at 2%, and it very considerably faded in a short time. Maybe it had to do with the other ingredients/oils in the soap.

Good point @atiz. I only made a small batch and didn’t really keep one for longevity testing since I decided I preferred a mint for fragrance.
I like the scent of mint better too... I just had some crystals on hand and could not resist the experiment. But I would keep them for better things :)

I am going to use the FO I have. It has a really nice scent to it and the reviews I read were very good for it.

I am going to use mine for something else. I have a pound of them,so I won't run out any time soon lol. I'm going for a feeling rather than affect. Scent has a trigger effect on me that is stronger than any other of my senses. Certain smells will bring back old memories of my childhood.

I am going to use mine for something else. I have a pound of them,so I won't run out any time soon lol. I'm going for a feeling rather than affect. Scent has a trigger effect on me that is stronger than any other of my senses. Certain smells will bring back old memories of my childhood.
Scent will do that. Menthol brings back childhood memories of being sick and Vick's LOL.

Except give some people a rash and make other people very sick indeed.

I was only referring to his "soothing" thought. Personally I think adding menthol to soap is a stupid idea, but that is my opinion as there are a few on here that do it.

How will it make other people very sick? I assume that if a person is affected by menthol they not use it and I believe @Todd Ziegler is intelligent to know how to properly list the ingredients.
I don't Assume anything and NEVER assume a NEW Soaper knows anything.......as they all think they do and Don't.

sorry i am not trying to trainwreck this thread

Latest posts

Back