Mint in the oven

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Second Impression

Reaction score
Made a CPOP batch...scented with Peppermint EO. Now, I love me some super strong mint. Like, 3% minimum of base oils. If my skin isn't feeling a little tingly on the rinse, it's just not strong enough (this batch is *mine*, no give aways to friends or family!). And I was maybe feeling impatient and wanted to be able to at least try it after a few days so after hitting a thick trace, I popped it in the oven for gelling. That maybe wasn't a good idea, the peppermint fumes were viscious! I opened the oven door to check on my soap and I swear my eyes tried to leap out of my dumb skull and run away :Kitten Love: Luckily, my kitchen became habitable again once I opened a window. Funny, just last week I had a crock pot rebatch with cinnamon EO eat through the crock pot liner (I maybe forgot about it too, oops!). I will never, ever, EVER use a sensitizing EO in a heat process method again, I learned my lessons!

So that was my stupid human trick of the week :smile:

Yes, peppermint will do that to a person. It is great, but within limits.

If you want to HP and want peppermint, you can cook first, then add the peppermint before molding.

It probably would have been OK if you had oven processed in a big kettle and added it after the cook. You don't need as much EO or FO if you add it after the cook.

Glad you posted this, I was just wondering how this awesome mint FO i have would do with cpop..

Yes, peppermint will do that to a person. It is great, but within limits.

If you want to HP and want peppermint, you can cook first, then add the peppermint before molding.
Yep, that's what I figured out from this experience lol

and you especially don't need as much peppermint, as it is STRONG on its own :)
Oh I must beg to differ, I really was going for that over-the-top mint. Any other time, I am reasonable with it :)

Glad you posted this, I was just wondering how this awesome mint FO i have would do with cpop..
What!? No desire to follow in my foot steps? :-D

Reminds me of this Christmas I made those cinnamon ornaments with the kids. UGH I had such a headache from cinnamon fumes in the house.

Oh yeah, I always add my FO after the cook in my crock pot. Just about all my scents get to the "make your eyes explode" strength when I add them at the end of the cook and they warm up. But its always a good thing and then the kitchen mellows out and all is well again.

Latest posts

Back