Minimum size of candles

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carrie2275us

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to candle making. I made candles in 1-oz tins, and I wonder if that if too small. The wick burned alright-not great in my first batch, which had beeswax, oil and essential oil.

Also, where to find wicks for these? I only need a wick which is like 3/4-inch tall. I know I can cut them but I am looking for one with a small "base" (ex. metal base).

Also, I learned that beeswax doesn't hold essential oils and scent in. What kind of wax does?

For something that small you could try tealight wicks, buy premade wicks and sustainers and cut them down or make your own wicks - the last one would give you more flexibility over the correct wick size for the size of your container.

Tea light wicks are a great option but as they're usually made for small tealights you dont have the same flexibility for wider tins. If you find the right wick you could cut premade ones down and buy some extra sustainers to make several out of one too long wick, if that makes sense.

I dont use beeswax but your opions are generally paraffin or soy or some kind of blend. They will need different wicks to beeswax though so you will need to retest wicks again.

I ditto what LilyJo said. Sounds like you are making candles small enough for tealights, but be aware that any candle, regardless of wax, that small is not going to 1) last very long, and 2) scent an area very well.

Back