Minimalistic hanger swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Primrose

Reaction score
attachment-4.jpg

I love this very simple look with one or two wisps of colour dragged up from the bottom layers. Have seen various forms/colours and I love them all.

Am I correct in thinking this is a minimal hanger swirl? I'd like to try it out, does anyone make them like this and what do you find is the best technique? I've been watching hanger swirl videos on you tube with the butterfly swirl and people seem to really swirl that thing around in there for quite some time, I keep thinking it would be an over swirled muddy mess but they turn out good.

If trying to replicate this would you drop the hanger down one side, pull it along to the middle and just drag it once up through the soap and out?

I think I saw somewhere that a medium to thick trace would help to define the layers?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated as I give this an attempt this weekend :D

To me, it almost looks like the hanger was dropped mid point, moved slightly and then dragged up. See the bar on the left? it has a bit of white pushed down; that would have been where the hanger was dropped.... I'm thinking.

It's gorgeous!

True, I hadn't noticed that little detail, as its the sharp upwards swirl that catches my eye

Just stumbled across this beautiful one too. Apparently this is a reverse feather swirl
maxresdefault.jpg

I think you could put the hanger in either along the side, or close to where you are going to pull it up. I also think you want a thicker trace - I'd aim for medium-bordering-on-thick. It is beautiful. I recognize that soap by Kapia Mera. Holly makes the most beautiful soaps. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to do something like this:
kapiamerashimmy.JPG

I tried that technique a few weeks ago, was fairly happy with the first attempt. Havent had time to have another go yet with bolder colours. It accelerated on me a bit too
27540982_1901435846535920_7188428194395785166_n.jpg

I’m going to say that first bar is a variant ona feather swirl. One pass with a hanger to get the simple wave.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 29355

I love this very simple look with one or two wisps of colour dragged up from the bottom layers. Have seen various forms/colours and I love them all.

Am I correct in thinking this is a minimal hanger swirl? I'd like to try it out, does anyone make them like this and what do you find is the best technique? I've been watching hanger swirl videos on you tube with the butterfly swirl and people seem to really swirl that thing around in there for quite some time, I keep thinking it would be an over swirled muddy mess but they turn out good.

If trying to replicate this would you drop the hanger down one side, pull it along to the middle and just drag it once up through the soap and out?

I think I saw somewhere that a medium to thick trace would help to define the layers?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated as I give this an attempt this weekend :D
I would try it with the hanger already in place before you pour. That's how I did this one. How you pour and pull out the hanger would change the design.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1501993851194.jpg
    FB_IMG_1501993851194.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 11
I tried that technique a few weeks ago, was fairly happy with the first attempt. Havent had time to have another go yet with bolder colours. It accelerated on me a bit too View attachment 29360
Was the acceleration from the FO or something else related to the design? I think it looks great, especially for a first attempt.

Was the acceleration from the FO or something else related to the design? I think it looks great, especially for a first attempt.

Yeah it was the FO, I'd sort of forgotten it tended to accelerate a little . I was still pretty happy with how it turned out

So here is my first attempt at doing anything with a hanger ... I used a gear tie and tried to do a reverse hidden feather. It didn't exactly work, but I'm still very pleased with how the soap turned out. I wanted just a minimal bit of colour and not too over the top. Its a Castile that I used an accelerating FO in hoping those two things would complement each other but it didn't appear to accelerate at all and I probably poured at too thin a trace and looks like I missed some of the lines with the hanger. But I'm definitely liking the technique especially starting with the hanger in the mould, and I will try again :D

Latest posts

Back