Miniature soap (loaf) mold

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachael

Reaction score
Has anyone found a small loaf mold? I have a 42oz silicone mold and it's awesome. I love being able to put inserts in to do swirls, etc. The only problem is that it's a LOT of soap. Sometimes I just want to make a small batch to test things out (or so that I won't get tired of one type of soap) :) I found a few individual silicone molds on Amazon that I might try. But I'd really like to find a loaf style so I can do patterns. Alternatively has anyone blocked off part of a rectangular mold? I'm thinking I might be able to put some cardboard in the middle of my 42oz mold, but I don't think it would hold the pressure of the soap batter on the other side. Any ideas are much appreciated!

and if you are worried about the cardboard not holding if you split it get a block of foam (like from a florist) and cut to size, and cover with plastic--maybe put a piece of cardboard in front of it to insulate it from the soap???

and if you are worried about the cardboard not holding if you split it get a block of foam (like from a florist) and cut to size, and cover with plastic--maybe put a piece of cardboard in front of it to insulate it from the soap???
I’d wrap that foam in freezer paper or plastic wrap though. It doesn’t seem like it would be soap/lye safe.

I have the two molds linked above and have also split my 2 lb mold (oil wt) in half to make half a loaf. The squarish mold makes a good size rectangular bar (approx 2.5” x 3.5”) and is comfortably wide enough for when I’m practicing designs. The mini tall skinny mold makes a slightly smaller bar, with the narrow dimension as the width. That means a bit less working room (relative to my soapy skills/experience). I also had an issue with the sides bowing out, but solved that problem by putting the small mold into my larger wood mold, which acts as a perfect support. I like how easily the soap pops out of both molds, but it’s a tad easier to get it out of the square mold. I like the TS mold better for guest size soaps.

The first time I split my larger loaf mold I didn’t fasten and seal the divider well enough and I lost a lot of batter through leakage. The next time I taped the divider in place from both sides, added good support on the side that would remain empty and then lined the half mold with parchment paper. I also learned here on the forum that I can make 4 square bars of soap by filling my loaf mold to the thickness of a bar. That’s a great trick if it works for the design technique.

Back