Miniature soap (loaf) mold

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by Rachael, Nov 7, 2019.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Nov 7, 2019 #1

Rachael

Rachael

Rachael

Has anyone found a small loaf mold? I have a 42oz silicone mold and it's awesome. I love being able to put inserts in to do swirls, etc. The only problem is that it's a LOT of soap. Sometimes I just want to make a small batch to test things out (or so that I won't get tired of one type of soap) :) I found a few individual silicone molds on Amazon that I might try. But I'd really like to find a loaf style so I can do patterns. Alternatively has anyone blocked off part of a rectangular mold? I'm thinking I might be able to put some cardboard in the middle of my 42oz mold, but I don't think it would hold the pressure of the soap batter on the other side. Any ideas are much appreciated!

2. Nov 7, 2019 #2

shunt2011

shunt2011

shunt2011

Staff Member Admin

3. Nov 7, 2019 #3

amd

amd

amd

Supporting Member

4. Nov 7, 2019 #4

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

Supporting Member

and if you are worried about the cardboard not holding if you split it get a block of foam (like from a florist) and cut to size, and cover with plastic--maybe put a piece of cardboard in front of it to insulate it from the soap???

5. Nov 9, 2019 #5

dibbles

dibbles

dibbles

Supporting Member Supporting Member

I’d wrap that foam in freezer paper or plastic wrap though. It doesn’t seem like it would be soap/lye safe.

6. Nov 9, 2019 #6

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member

I have the two molds linked above and have also split my 2 lb mold (oil wt) in half to make half a loaf. The squarish mold makes a good size rectangular bar (approx 2.5” x 3.5”) and is comfortably wide enough for when I’m practicing designs. The mini tall skinny mold makes a slightly smaller bar, with the narrow dimension as the width. That means a bit less working room (relative to my soapy skills/experience). I also had an issue with the sides bowing out, but solved that problem by putting the small mold into my larger wood mold, which acts as a perfect support. I like how easily the soap pops out of both molds, but it’s a tad easier to get it out of the square mold. I like the TS mold better for guest size soaps.

The first time I split my larger loaf mold I didn’t fasten and seal the divider well enough and I lost a lot of batter through leakage. The next time I taped the divider in place from both sides, added good support on the side that would remain empty and then lined the half mold with parchment paper. I also learned here on the forum that I can make 4 square bars of soap by filling my loaf mold to the thickness of a bar. That’s a great trick if it works for the design technique.

SmockingRN likes this.
  7. Nov 9, 2019 #7

Quilter99755

Quilter99755

Quilter99755

Supporting Member

Thanks for the ideas