Mini Dessert Soap Challenge!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

This is my first soap challenge and I'm suuuuper excited. I hope a few of you will be joining me. [emoji4]

I figure we can keep up on this thread like the spin swirl challenge thread. Registration opened today and closes may 4th.

I am also entered in this. I'm not a fan of dessert soaps or cupcakes or anything like that so I have never made any. They are usually way to fussy for my liking, but I chose to enter as I want to try and push my boundaries and do something I wouldn't ever normally consider attempting. I have some melt and pour ordered (never used it before so could be interesting!) and have bought some new piping bags and nozzles specifically to use for soap. The use of food items in the soap is going to be a tough one for me too!

I'm in on this too! I've been getting ideas from cake books and such :). I was a melt and pourer before I started cold-process. And I've added glycerin to my mp before to make it more flexible but not cornstarch. Excited to try it! But I'm more excited to use cold process soap like dough for this particular challenge!
I know we have to make miniature desserts, but think I'll do both (if I have time).
Good luck, you guys!!!

I made a flexible "fondant like" soap from Castile soap, glycerine and cornstarch. Works just like the melt and pour. I think it would likely only work with 100% liquid oil soap or mp.

I also started with MP so I'm excited to be able to blend two worlds. I'm going to take inspiration from my cousins mini dessert table that we labored over for her baby shower.

Eta, my Castile soap is 100% evoo

Last edited:
Just wondering- how much time do these challenges take up, for a workable entry? I'm just wondering how much it will take over my life...

I'm sort of afraid of becoming more of a junkie/mad scientist than I already am. To drink the koolaid or not? :?:

Depends how obsessed you get and how well you execute your first soap(s). The butterfly challenge I made 7 before I was satisfied
:oops:
It was very time consuming.

The landscape I made only 2, but it was so tedious each soap took a couple days.

The kool aid is a strong force mama.

Wow. What did you do with all your butterfly soaps?
It's really amazing though...you probably mastered the butterfly swirl through the challenge. It's very worth it when you think about it- would you have tried 7 times without the challenge?

I know it must be addicting because I didn't even participate in spin swirl, I merely READ about it on here, and I found myself spin-swirling bowls of two-tone soup for my family one day.

Btw it's a cheap way to practice getting the swirl moving. The soups had a potato base so they had a CP texture.

The quick answer - yes it will take over!! If you're a perfectionist like I am. I made 3 butterfly swirls before I was happy and 4 spin swirls.

I've not entered this one as my other hobby is cake making/decorating and I'd just rather keep them separate.

Good luck everyone - can't wait to see your entries

Soup lol. I understand that! I made practice 1 pound molds first. They made 4 bars each. I gave many away. Many I still have because I wasn't a fan of the fo after soaping it. I then made the contest one in my 12 bar tall skinny mold. Didn't like it (still have most of those bars), and made my final in the 12 bar mold. I only have 2 of those left, I think.

How is everyone getting on with this? I did some work on it at the weekend - it's really quite a tough challenge! A good learning experience though :)

Lol I had a written plan too - way to much to think about at once without one! I can't wait to see what everyone has made!

Good luck everyone! Can't wait to see your results and videos if you are the you tube posting type. I was going to enter this but figured it was way too much work for me... although I do love piping soap!

I'm not doing a video although one day I want to. How much of our process are we supposed to photograph? I've never done this before and I'm by myself so I can't take pictures during stuff, only after its in the mold or being cut. Is that ok?

I'm sure some will go the extra mile, but most of us are soaping alone and will do the best we can with the two hands we have.

It didn't seem (to me) to be in the rules. Step by step documentation was more of a fun suggestion.

I only have time to give these challenges one or at most two tries. I'm a perfectionist too but have to draw the line with so much going on. :( and I'm pregnant, in my 3rd trimester! It's getting hard to stand for long periods of time.
With this challenge, I'm doing a little every night. Loving it!

Lol I had a written plan too - way to much to think about at once without one! I can't wait to see what everyone has made!

I had written plans too but so far I haven't used them haha.

I only have time to give these challenges one or at most two tries. I'm a perfectionist too but have to draw the line with so much going on. :( and I'm pregnant, in my 3rd trimester! It's getting hard to stand for long periods of time.
With this challenge, I'm doing a little every night. Loving it!
Oh my! Now that's dedication. [emoji4] at least in a challenge like this, its one you can mostly do little by little. I don't blame you for only having one go at it! I'm so excited to see what everyone comes up with!

I just found this thread, I entered this challenge too and it is really pushing me. I'm in the process of making a whipped soap to do some tops, if you use cocoa butter, I had real trouble getting it to whip into my oils so I just melted all my oils together and then put it in the fridge until it started solidifying and then whipped it. I am using a pathetically cheap hand held mixer though. But that might help some one.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back