Mineral makeup to pigment CP soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarolynD

Reaction score
I have A LOT of bareMinerals loose powder eye shadows and I am trying to pare down my collection. I've sold the sealed ones off on eBay, but I have a number of colors that I opened to try out and they're just not for me, so they are sitting there unused and it seems a waste to toss them, but I know I will never use them up. Has anyone had success using commercially-made mineral makeup to pigment CP soap? The ingredients are obviously cosmetic grade and skin-safe, so I don't foresee any problems there. I'm aware that some colors could morph, so nothing's a guarantee, but I guess I'm just asking if anyone has had any general success in doing it this way? Most of the colors I'd be using are relatively bold, so I wouldn't expect to need to use too much, but even if I do it's not really a concern, since the whole point is to use them up. Any experiences, things to look out for, tips? I should probably mention that CP soap-making is just a small hobby for me - I don't sell my soaps, I just make them for me and my husband - so creating an ingredient list would not be an issue. And if it comes out a really ugly color, as long as it's still serviceable soap, it'll still get used. Thanks in advance!

I've not used that brand but I have used loose eyeshadow before with nice results. I say go for it!

Here is one I made with eyeshadow.
bivzhy.jpg

i've not personally used that brand too, but i've used eye shadows from mineral makeup before w/o a problem (think it was Alima). i've also used MAC pigments, also w/o a problem. i was a makeup wh*re, and there was quite a lot of left overs from my hey days. i'm no longer using them as some of them are quite old, but i had fun in my early soap making days using those things as i didn't want to splurge on colorants yet.

Awesome, looks like it's worth a try anyway. Thanks! I do own quite a bit of makeup, but I tend to be most drawn to the colorful things - nail polish, eye shadow. Many of the shadows were purchased as sets/kits, which is how I've ended up with some colors that aren't a good match for me. Looking forward to trying this out and I will try to remember to come back and post pictures when I do. Any suggestions on amounts? I'm thinking following the same general guidelines for oxides & micas would be logical.

Well, I finally got around to trying this for the first time at the end of May. The color I chose was a beautiful shimmery red-rust color. I added it to the liquid oils and it was gorgeous, so I was excited to see the end result. Unfortunately the lye ate the color completely, so by the time I poured it into the mold it looked like I hadn't used any colorant at all. *Sad face* Oh well. Next time I'll try a different color and hope for better luck.

Back