Milk soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wanted to add that the "Holy Trinity" recipe posted above is a great base recipe for trying out designs, swirls, fragrance oils. Its my building block for almost all my recipes. Hope it helps!

21% Palm Oil
21% Coconut Oil
12% Shea Butter
41% Olive Oil
5% Castor Oil

1 tea PPO Sodium Lactate
1 tea PPO Kaolin Clay
1 oz PPO FO (follow safe usage rates)

35% Lye Concentration
5% Super Fat

I use a 100% Goat Milk full water replacement. I freeze my GM into cubes. I make up an ice batch with water, ice and salt (keeps the water colder). After weighing out the GM, I let it sit in the ice bath to lower the temp of the bowl. I then add small amounts of Sodium Hydroxide at a time and make sure the temp doesn't get above 70F and will let it rest until it drops back down and add more. I then let it sit in the ice bath while I weigh/melt my oils***.

Oils are generally around 100F and GM Lye Solution is around 65F. GM Lye Solution is also a bit on the thick side...like a slurry. I give it a good stir and then add to my Oils and give it a good whiz, stir, whiz. Since I don't add any colorants, I generally mix to a medium trace and then I pour. During the Spring/Summer (70F+), the mold goes in the frig, during the Fall/Winter(70F-) it goes into the garage. 24-48 hours later, I bring the soap out and let it sit to room temp and then unmold. I then cover and let sit for another 24 hours and then cut and cure for 8 weeks (my preference).

*** - I melt my PO and CO to a max of 120F and then cut the Shea Butter into small bits and let it melt in the residual heat. I then add in my Oils, Sodium Lactate and FO/Kaolin Clay.
Your recipe looks strikingly close to a recipe that took me months of research and trial and error to come up with and love. Now, you're making me want to try gm powder and koalin clay in it! Also, a big thankyou to the modern soapmaking website for that lovely article on making the perfect soap recipe because it was what sent me on such a hard earned and rewarding journey.

Your recipe looks strikingly close to a recipe that took me months of research and trial and error to come up with and love. Now, you're making me want to try gm powder and koalin clay in it! Also, a big thankyou to the modern soapmaking website for that lovely article on making the perfect soap recipe because it was what sent me on such a hard earned and rewarding journey.
You're welcome.

I haven't gotten around to trying the GM Powder yet, maybe once tax season is over I'll give it a try. I don't mind the time it takes to make my GM Lye Solution with regular goat milk, but I still have found a new supply of fresh goat milk and so I am only breaking even with store bought goat milk.

I do like the Kaolin Clay. I can't say for sure whether or not it makes my FO 'stick' more, but it does give a nice feel to the soap and it is a super cheap additive not to use.

Hey all I recently tried out some goats milk soap that a friend bought for me and I thought to myself, wow this is better than the soap I make. With that being said I decided that I should try my hand at making some. So I did some light research on the subject and there appears to be several techniques and various milks used in soap and was curious what method you all use.

I know that you can freeze the milk and slowly add the lye to prevent scorching. I also know that you can use half the water in your lye solution and add the other half as milk to your oils. I was curious if you can make your lye solution with full water, let it cool, and add powdered milk to the solution without it scorching?

Finally, are there any other methods that you use or are aware of that are simple and easy, preferably use all milk and no water, and don't require freezing the milk? Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance for any advice!
I used powdered goats milk and never have a discoloration problem. I mix my oils (melting my cocoa butter), add my powdered goat milk and then mix and add my lye water (heat transfer method).I bring to emulsion and add fragrance. I pour at light to medium trace. Cover and let sit overnight. Next day, unmold and cure. This works nicely for me. I also make goat milk oatmeal soap and add my “dusty oatmeal” (oatmeal I have run through a food processor till almost powder) to my oils and then proceed as above.

I have used both frozen goat milk and dried. My experience has been the higher percentage of GM, the more likely you get discoloration. With the powder I seem to get much less chance.
I have also noticed that after you unmold it and let it cure a few days it seems to get a bit lighter.

If you use the frozen goat milk I have noticed the chance of scorching or even discoloration is directly proportional to how high you let the temp go when mixing the frozen milk and lye. If I was aiming for a whiter bar, I would try to make sure the lye solution did not go above 80F. You can go higher, but will get more of a tan color (in my experience). But I would not let your lye mix go above 100F. Otherwise you may overheat, etc.
Hope that helps

Latest posts

Back