Milk soap went moldy....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoegarden

Reaction score
:(

This is the first time I saw this happening to my soaps in my 4 years of soaping and I have no idea what went wrong.

Any suggestion?

IMAG1225.jpg

IMAG1224.jpg

Your pictures aren't really clear, but from what I can tell, I really don't think it's mold ... it's soda ash.

I think I would need more info about what and how this soap was made. If it was made straight, with no additives, then I would say something is up. DeeAnna is right though- the pictures are a little out of focus.

My measurements for oil and lye are in Grams. The soap was done around Jun15 and I let it cure for 1 month. EO use is ginger and lemon.

Soap formula.JPG

Did you do HP or CP? To me, that looks like your wheat germ oil didn't get blended in well enough and went rancid. It has an extremely short shelf life. The white looks like ash to me.

Did you do HP or CP? To me, that looks like your wheat germ oil didn't get blended in well enough and went rancid. It has an extremely short shelf life. The white looks like ash to me.

I did a CP here.

Does it smell mouldy or rancid?

The parts with those funny spots and colour do have a weird smell.
So I cut away those parts and check again. The soap without the spots and colour still smell okay.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would still suspect the wheat germ oil. It will go rancid if not refrigerated all the time, so not something I would use in soap.

I have milk soap that is well over 2 years so I don't think that is the cause. I've never actually heard of CP soap molding before, I've also never seen anyone use wheatgerm either. I would tend to agree that its most likely from the wheatgerm.

I could easily see the wheat germ going rancid -- this soap has something like 20% to 25% superfat, and that's a LOT.

The new batch of pics and the recipe make things clearer. The white stuff still looks like ash to me, but the ring of dark splotches on the bars does look like mold, since there are no additives like oatmeal or coffee grounds or whatever. Maybe it's a combination of high superfat + high-water recipe (25% lye concentration) + milk solids = bug food.

I think she/he used wheat germ itself. Not the wheat germ oil. In that case, I'd say that's what's causing the mold/rancidity. Personally, I do think that is mold and not soda ash.

Waaaait, just read the title was "additional oils" my bad. Still, I've read that wheat germ (oil and itself) goes bad very very quickly if not stored properly.

Last edited:
Okay, so maybe I'm still confused and off base, but I saw the heading "additional oil" and saw "wheat germ" and "jojoba" right below that, so I assumed "wheat germ" was shorthand for "wheat germ oil".

I thought the same thing. But, since she put wheatgerm in the soap I can totally see that it may grow mold. I actually had some OMH where I put whole oats on top and a couple grew a bit of mold on them so had to chop their heads off...:)

Back