MilK Soap Experiment - Opinions/Help Please :)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I decided to try making various milk soaps to see if there are differences between the different milks or if it's more phycological. That being said, I decided to try 3 different milks. Goat, Camel, and Cow. I am using the same recipe for all. I am also doing 1 batch each as HP and 1 batch each as CP. All of the milks are powdered and I'm using enough powder that reconstitution would be equal to the amount if used as liquid. (ex: 28g goat milk power + 226g water = 226g of liquid goat milk)
Oils include:
Tallow
Lard
CO
Castor
HO Sunflower
RBO
1% SF after cook with HP (Shea Butter)
FO - the same for all - All-Natural Citrus
For HP all milks are added after cook.

Now for my question(s) :)

I have only made CP once
  1. Should I gel the CP in this instance? Since HP is gelled, to keep the experiment as equal as possible, should I gel the CP soaps?
  2. Should I do a 3rd batch of each? Then I would have 1 batch of each HP, 1 batch of each CP w/gel, and 1 batch of each CP no gel?
  3. Since these are all milk soaps, if I gel, do I need to be worried about cracking or overheating/volcanoing?
Any help or advice anyone can share would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Chris

I always gelled my milk soaps and always used powdered never having trouble with overheating. I soaped with all three kinds of milk you are using and also buttermilk powder. Honestly, none felt any different to me and frankly, no milk soaps felt any different to me, other than maybe the camel milk soaps. But in my opinion, the camel milk soaps were still more of a selling point as were the other milk soaps.

I always gelled my milk soaps and always used powdered never having trouble with overheating. I soaped with all three kinds of milk you are using and also buttermilk powder. Honestly, none felt any different to me and frankly, no milk soaps felt any different to me, other than maybe the camel milk soaps. But in my opinion, the camel milk soaps were still more of a selling point as were the other milk soaps.
Do you feel like milk soaps, no matter which milk is used, all feel the same? Do you think milk soaps feel the same as non-milk soaps?
Did people tend to buy camel milk soap because it sounds over the top trendy?

Test Results:
I never did get around to doing the same recipe/experiment with CP.
I handed the sample soaps to a number of people without telling most of them which soap contained which milk.
1 person liked the lather of the camels' milk soap, but overall, they didn't differ beyond that one comment.
1 person (@Zany_in_CO :)) liked the lather of the cow's milk and felt it left hands moisturized afterwards.
The remaining couldn't tell the difference between any of the soaps.

My conclusion, as with @cmzaha if selling, it's label appeal only. Adding any type of milk seems to do about the same thing, if indeed it really does anything at all. A few people I gave the soap to I also gave a sample of a regular bar of soap (same recipe). They could not tell the difference between the plain vs milk soaps.

Latest posts

Back