Milk soap book

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kniquy

Reaction score
Has anyone bought the new Milk soap book from Ann-Marie Failo? Just wondering if it is worth it for some additional info/education on milk soap

151D7D79-5740-4F82-AF0B-B94D72D50FBF.jpeg
I bought it, but I haven’t had a chance to read it. Here’s a pic of the table of contents.

A friend of mine bought it and loaned it to me. (I should state upfront that I am NOT a "Soap Queen" fan.) I did flag a few of the recipes to try with some modifications. Slightly annoying that she doesn't tell you the lye concentration, so it's a bit of fiddling to get the recipe resized to fit your mold. This book is definitely geared from a supplier perspective - there's quite a few recipes that use expensive oils (IMO would be better suited for leave on products rather than wasted in soap). I will say that the pictures were more inspiring than most of the recipes. My overall advice for someone wanting to purchase: Save your money and see if you can borrow it at the local library.

I don't think the Brambleberry recipe calculator allows you to specify the lye concentration -- it just calculates the water weight with its own hidden default for concentration. Maybe that's why she's not providing that in her recipes, because her calc doesn't go there? Just a guess....

I dislike it. A soap maker should have some understanding of lye concentration, so excluding it just seems in "poor form". At least her recipes provide oil percentage weights in addition to the recipe weights.

I like the book overall. First, the graphic designer who did the layout did a solid job. Aesthetically it’s a fun book to read. I am a novice to milk soaps and it does give a good overview imo. However I agree with the earlier comment about the recipes. She lists the size of the mold (6”, 10”, etc.) and the number of bars but not the total weight produced, so it takes a bit of thought to figure out how much it makes and translate the recipe to your own size molds. But overall, yes I like it.

Latest posts

Back