Milk/salt bath

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hendejm

Reaction score
looking to try a milk/salt bath. 2 questions-

Does type of powdered milk matter? I’ve got whole cows milk powder on hand. Is one as good as another?

How do I figure FO ratio? Is it as simple as just doing a smell test? In a tub it will be very diluted so not sure suggested ratio from manufacturer is appropriate or necessary.

Does type of powdered milk matter? I’ve got whole cows milk powder on hand. Is one as good as another?

How do I figure FO ratio? Is it as simple as just doing a smell test? In a tub it will be very diluted so not sure suggested ratio from manufacturer is appropriate or necessary.
I've used whole milk powder in my milk bath and it worked just fine. As for FO, I would go with manufacturer's recommendations. I know that Candora (here in Canada) has recommended usage rates that include bath salts. It will smell quite strong but, as you say, it's diluted in bath water.
Capture.PNG

I've used whole milk powder in my milk bath and it worked just fine. As for FO, I would go with manufacturer's recommendations. I know that Candora (here in Canada) has recommended usage rates that include bath salts. It will smell quite strong but, as you say, it's diluted in bath water.
View attachment 34905
That’s great info. Thank you!!

The supplier recommendations take into account that the FO is diluted in bath water, just as soap is diluted in the water on your washcloth, so you do want to pay attention to the supplier info. Here's an example: https://www.naturesgardencandles.com/lime-cilantro-fragrance-oil?

If you scroll down the center portion of the product listing for this Lime-Cilantro FO, you'll see NG suggests using this FO at 5% in bath oils, soaps and bath gels. This isn't an IRFA guideline; it's what NG thinks is a reasonable amount to use in those products.

If you look to the right of the center portion, you'll see a link to the IRFA recommendations for this FO. If you click on that link and scroll down to the bottom, you'll learn Category 9 is for "...Bar soap, bath gels, foams, mousses, salts, oils & other products added to bathwater, body washes, conditioner (rinse off), face cleansers, liquid soap, shampoo of all types, shaving creams of all types, aerosol air freshener sprays..."

The IRFA Cat 9 limit for this FO also happens to be 5%. Sometimes the IRFA is higher than NG's suggested usage -- the IRFA for some FOs is as high as 100% -- but it doesn't make sense to make a product like soap or milk bath that's 100% fragrance. For situations like this, NG's suggestions make more sense than blindly following the IRFA limits.

Thanks all! I made the milk/salt soak and it feels great but OMG the smell is overpowering. I used lavender 40/20 and I only used recommended rate per Brambleberry but it is POWERFUL! Given that I don’t like lavender at all...it’s enough to give me a migraine

The supplier recommendations take into account that the FO is diluted in bath water, just as soap is diluted in the water on your washcloth, so you do want to pay attention to the supplier info. Here's an example: https://www.naturesgardencandles.com/lime-cilantro-fragrance-oil?

If you scroll down the center portion of the product listing for this Lime-Cilantro FO, you'll see NG suggests using this FO at 5% in bath oils, soaps and bath gels. This isn't an IRFA guideline; it's what NG thinks is a reasonable amount to use in those products.

If you look to the right of the center portion, you'll see a link to the IRFA recommendations for this FO. If you click on that link and scroll down to the bottom, you'll learn Category 9 is for "...Bar soap, bath gels, foams, mousses, salts, oils & other products added to bathwater, body washes, conditioner (rinse off), face cleansers, liquid soap, shampoo of all types, shaving creams of all types, aerosol air freshener sprays..."

The IRFA Cat 9 limit for this FO also happens to be 5%. Sometimes the IRFA is higher than NG's suggested usage -- the IRFA for some FOs is as high as 100% -- but it doesn't make sense to make a product like soap or milk bath that's 100% fragrance. For situations like this, NG's suggestions make more sense than blindly following the IRFA limits.
Is there a place to put favorites? Or flag? I have read so many great kernels of wisdom and would love to have them all in one place. Thanks for that info!

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a place to put favorites? Or flag? I have read so many great kernels of wisdom and would love to have them all in one place. Thanks for that info!
At the top of your post is a "watch thread" button.
upload_2019-1-10_9-0-11.png

I would just click that and then you can keep track of threads in the Watched Threads menu at the top of the page.
upload_2019-1-10_9-1-8.png

Where could I find this recipe?
It sounds amazing!

Latest posts

Back