Milk Fat on Soap Calc

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tespring

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what it means by milk fat (any bovine) on the Soap Calc and what you use to get milk fat? Is it butter or is it milk? TY!

Thank you for the reply, that is what I thought it was also. Has anyone used that before in here?

Milk fat is the amount of fat in milk. You know, when you buy milk (gasp! - haven't done that in five years :lol: ), it says 2%? That's 2% milk fat. Homogenized ("homo") milk is, I believe, standardized at 3 or 3.5%.

Milk straight from the cow or goat can be quite a bit higher, depending on the breed, stage of lactation, individual, etc.

I would have thought that if they meant clarified butter, they would say so?

Isn't butter made with heavy cream though? That is why I thought it was butter, after doing some research, butter is the highest milk fat that I can find excluding Anhydrous Milk Fat.

Here it says that butter is 80% milk fat, so if I reduced the water in a recipe to 20% of the butter content, might it work?

http://www.foodsci.uoguelph.ca/dairyedu/butter.html

butter still has milk solids.

The way you make ghee is by melting butter, letting the solids sink and pouring off the fat. Then you have 100% butterfat.

Thanks Deb, I think I might have to give this a try. I love to do soap experiments. :shock: It is part of the addiction! lol

Well, I am trying it today. I will post on here how it works. I am just making a small batch to see how it comes out. I didn't discount the water, I just upped the amount of butter and only SF to 5%. Now that I think about it, I SHOULD have just discounted the water. Oh well, we will see how this turns out. :)

I tried this today with butter, so far, it looks good. It set up fast even though I poured it after a very short light trace.

My recipe was
Lard 6oz
Coconut 4oz
Milk Fat (butter) 4 oz
Soybean Oil 2oz
Castor 4 oz

I did a water discount to 5.8 from 6.6 to make up for the water in the butter and then I added .8 oz to the butter to make up for the water in the butter....oops...lol
Superfat at 5%
Lye at 2.863

I added sugar and silk to the lye water. I did not put fragrance in it because I wanted a test batch but I did add some heavily scented HP embeds that I made of all different Pop Micas. I also did not color the base for the same reason.

The quality numbers are
Hardness 41
Cleansing 17
Conditioning 50
Bubbly 35
Creamy 42
Iodine 55
INS 157
From SoapCalc.
I will post pics when I get my new camera. YEAH!!! :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts