Milk Cartons

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyway, my first silicone loaf tin arrived earlier this week, so i guess i don't really need a milk carton.
Is your silicone tin mold actually all silicone or a coated tin with silicone. If it is an actually silicone mold it is good to go, but if a silicone coated baking tin it really should not be used with soap

All silicone, and it sits inside a wooden box with a lid. :)

@Zing.. Remember.. Soap... Haha

I think ours has a similar kind of material @KiwiMoose... I'd say semi flimsy, that's why I put them up against the wall and a solid wood knife block. I think cutting off the top short end lessens the bowing, but that's not a tested fact.
Yes - Dawni we have those too, but they are for UHT milk and sit on the supermarket shelves and not in the fridge. Fresh milk used to come in the other style of carton (like the buttermilk). We can get the ones you've pictured with soy milk, almond milk oat milk etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes - Dawni we have those too, but they are for UHT milk and sit on the supermarket shelves and not in the fridge. Fresh milk used to come in the other style of carton (like the buttermilk). We can get the ones you've pictured with soy milk, almond milk oat milk etc.
You're quite right.. These sit in the shelves. I don't actually recall if I've seen milk like the one in your pic in the fridge.. Now I'm curious, I'll have to check.
We've gotten so used to referring to this, when we say milk lol
_20181214_032123.JPG
Local fresh milk come in plastic bottles like below or glass..
Another of the molds I used to use. This particular one was fresh Carabao (water buffalo) milk yogurt
_20181214_032628.JPG
Love these lol the soap just slides out

Last edited:
So I realise now that I had a different kind of milk carton in mind. It's so long since I've bought milk in a carton that I realise I can't even get it in a carton anymore. I was envisaging a tall thin 'square' shaped carton where we used to fold out the top to pour from. They were quite flimsy. However, in the supermarket tonight I noticed lots of other vessels and was eyeing them up as soap molds. Can you use a number '1' recyclable plastic bottle as a soap mold? Or will they melt if the soap gels?
I looked up PVC pipe online and it's really expensive! Best to hunt down a plumber who might have an offcut going begging.
Anyway, my first silicone loaf tin arrived earlier this week, so i guess i don't really need a milk carton.

View attachment 33712 This is what I meant. We can still get custard and buttermilk in this style of carton:

I still use milk cartons ocassionally for soap demonstrations/classes, because everyone can bring along their own, they don't need lining, can be put in recycling and are resistant to lye, so long as they don't get too hot. The top can be opened up, instead of cutting off, which means they can be closed again after the soap is poured in.
The material used to make them is sandwiched plastic (usually #2) and cardboard, so they do need bracing (like Dawni said) if you want to avoid the bowing.

This website is a bit Aussie-centric, but it will give you the information on the construction: https://recyclingnearyou.com.au/milk-juice-cartons

Congratulations on getting your first silicone mold!

I love the heavy cream cartons for making hot process soap. It’s the perfect size and shape for holding soap.

I’ve made soap in the cartons my daughter’s rice milk comes in. Meh. I like the cream cartons best.

Thats the right shape but looks flimsier than what we have in the states.
What kind of custard comes in a carton? I want a carton of custard!
Most custard now comes in a carton, even brandy custard for Christmas, you must be missing out.

upload_2018-12-14_12-20-34.jpeg

I use pizza boxes with a oil paper lining, which I attach using double sided tapes.. The walls of these boxes are stronger than the milk cartons and can be torn off without making dents to the soap.

I use pizza boxes with a oil paper lining, which I attach using double sided tapes.. The walls of these boxes are stronger than the milk cartons and can be torn off without making dents to the soap.
I was just wondering the other day how to work with those.. Makeshift slab mold for when I become experienced enough to try those more complex design techniques I've seen. Thank you!

And I'm over here just excited about egg nog...

I started with milk cartons and ritz cracker box. I cut out the largest panel on the ritz box so it would be a slab mold, reinforced all of the corners and edges with packing tape and line with either a plastic bag or freezer paper. It perfectly holds 2lbs oil. For the milk carton, I cut the long way (loaf mold rather than column mold) and stuck a piece of cardboard in the funnel end. They were huge bars! I used those many times for teaching classes as well, in addition to pringles cans.

I look at every cardboard and/or carton recyclable with a "can I soap in it?" look. I've had great luck with most and only one soapy disaster. I don't sell my soap but I like how it looks One of my favorites are cartons that I cut the tops off of. As they are was coated, I don't have to line then.

I have used the box that Velveeta cheese comes in, too. You will have to line it with freezer paper, though. Pringles cans work well for round soap. I line them with freezer paper, also.

Custard in cartons, mmmm, bought some more this morning, ran out after eating xmas pudding. It's OK, we still have another one in the freezer.

I was just wondering the other day how to work with those.. Makeshift slab mold for when I become experienced enough to try those more complex design techniques I've seen. Thank you!

Here is the Pizza box with paper lining
20181218_005813.jpg

Two tones soap I made last week
20181209_183710.jpg

Cut into bars and left to dry.
20181210_212539.jpg

Latest posts

Back