Milk and Oatmeal in Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ed.balaun

Reaction score
What exactly do milk and oatmeal do in a soap? Specifically, is there any noticeable difference? Do they really provide any real noticeable difference to a person’s skin? I know I’ve read about them, but I’d like to hear from people experienced in using them.

How about soap with beer or coffee?

Last edited:
What exactly do milk and oatmeal do in a soap? Specifically, is there any noticeable difference? Do they really provide any real noticeable difference to a person’s skin? I know I’ve read about them, but I’d like to hear from people experienced in using them.

The only thing I notice about oatmeal and coffee is that it scrubs the skin a little, it doesn't make any difference to the skin, it's more label appeal, as soap is washed off. Milk, beer just make my soaps a little more creamier - still no difference as far as the skin is concerned.
Here is a forum link to coffee - Coffee Soap

Mostly label appeal. I make my own oat milk and use that for my oatmeal soap - with ground oatmeal and flaxseeds. I have one customer who swears by it and says it's the only one she uses because her skin loves it. She's tried my other soaps but always comes back to it. Placebo effect? Fact? Who knows?

Mostly label appeal. I make my own oat milk and use that for my oatmeal soap - with ground oatmeal and flaxseeds. I have one customer who swears by it and says it's the only one she uses because her skin loves it. She's tried my other soaps but always comes back to it. Placebo effect? Fact? Who knows?
Thank you, Kiwi. That’s exactly what I suspected.

Milk in soaps make the bar creamier, I do believe it makes your skin feel less dry. Also I use colloidal oatmeal and it’s nice because it’s not a heavy exfoliation but gentle. It makes your soap more bubbly. I feel like these additives and others really add something to your soap. And yes, label appeal. Beer definitely makes a bar more sudsy. Personally I love milk soaps on my skin.

IMHO

Beer is just label appeal same with most liquids. Milk contains additional fats, which if not accounted for, have the same effect as a SuperFat leading to a 'creamier', more 'moisturizing' bar of soap. Some people swear by goat milk and I do like GMS, but I don't believe it's every really been scientifically tested and then there is the question...how much goat milk is in the soap folks are swearing by because I know some folks who make GMS who do not use full GM so does the GM really make a difference or is just a belief?

Oatmeal makes for an good exfoliant, same with adding [used] coffee grounds or salt or small seeds or Jojoba beads or ground shells or pumice so there would be a benefit.

Beer soap as well as Goat Milk soap are said to contain beneficial vitamins and nutrients for skin and hair. I believe that to be true.

I grew up in the '50s and '60s. At that time, washing your hair with beer was all the rage. Copious lather! A beer rinse was left in to use to set the hair. It is a good thing for that. It made hair shiny and healthy looking.

About 10 years ago, I ran into a spa that offered both a beer shampoo and beer rinse. It was very expensive. I luv being able to make "expensive" products for myself and others for mere pennies. 😁

What exactly do milk and oatmeal do in a soap?
Goat milk contains nutrients that are good for hair and skin.
Oatmeal is soothing and good for relieving itchy skin like eczema.
Honey is an additive that is also soothing and beneficial to skin.

I often see the three together in 100% olive oil handcrafted castile soap for sensitive or problem skin. Very nice soap. It's the only soap I make HP, although I haven't made any in a good long while.

Latest posts

Back