Milk and Clay soap formulation and techniques feedbacks

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moh18

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am trying to make soap with cheap oils and things I already have at home, that is not too aggressive for the skin. I have like 700g of powdered french green clay that I don't use anymore and powdered whole cow milk, so they could be a good addition to my soap.
I am thinking of making a simple recipe with red palm butter, olive and fractioned coconut (or maybe hydrogenated palm kernel) oils since they are not that expensive and give good and durable soaps. Here is the recipe.

7% of superfat
Red palm butter 50%
Olive Oil 35%
Fractioned coconut oil 15%

If I use hydrogenated palm kernel oil instead of coconut oil then :
Red palm butter 45%
Olive Oil 33%
Hydrogenated Palm Kernel Oil 22%

Is this a good recipe?

How do you add clay and milk to your soap? directly into the lye or into the oils? and how much per 500g?

Thanks!

Palm kernel oil is a good alternative to coconut oil, as both produce bubbles. You can substitute milk for all or part of the liquid. I always freeze the milk in a Baggie and lay if flat in the freezer. It is easy to break up that way. I set mixing container in ice water and add lye a little at a time to prevent scorching. You have to keep stirring during this process. It is also a good idea to strain the mixture so that you don't have any undissolved lye in your soap. I add clay at thin trace and stick blend it into the soap.

Palm kernel oil is a good alternative to coconut oil, as both produce bubbles. You can substitute milk for all or part of the liquid. I always freeze the milk in a Baggie and lay if flat in the freezer. It is easy to break up that way. I set mixing container in ice water and add lye a little at a time to prevent scorching. You have to keep stirring during this process. It is also a good idea to strain the mixture so that you don't have any undissolved lye in your soap. I add clay at thin trace and stick blend it into the soap.

I am not going to prepare my own lye solution because I don't have the material (protection mask) to do so but it's something I have planned to experiment in my next batches.

What do you think about my recipe?

I am not going to prepare my own lye solution because I don't have the material (protection mask) to do so but it's something I have planned to experiment in my next batches.

What do you think about my recipe?
how are you going to make soap without making a lye solution?

Use 1 tsp clay ppo.

Do you live somewhere that liquid lye solution -just lye and water- is available for purchase? I’ve seen a couple of Japanese YouTube soapers who use that, and I’ve always wondered where they purchase that.

If that is your plan, please make sure the solution contains nothing but lye and water. I say that bc pre-mixed solutions in the US, where I live, contain many other additives because those are used for cleaning drains, not making soap.

Also, be sure to check the strength of the solution, because pre-mixed sodium hydroxide solutions apparently come in different percentages of lye concentration. You must be careful with your math to ensure that you are using an appropriate amount to saponify your particular combination of oils. And every time that combination changes, you must recalculate how much of the premixed solution to use.

Honestly, making your own lye solution is easier, IMO. Plus, you must still use the same safety equipment when working with premixed lye solution: gloves and eye protection being the primary items (I assume you have long sleeves and shoes available already around the house). If you don’t have eye protection, you should not be using any lye solution, premixed or otherwise.

how are you going to make soap without making a lye solution?

Use 1 tsp clay ppo.
Thank you!
Since your milk is powdered, you can just blend the powder right into your oils.

You will have to use a lye solution, though, or else you will just have an oily, milky, clay mixture.
You can't make soap without lye.....

Never said I won' t use lye. You totally misunderstood what I said :D
Do you live somewhere that liquid lye solution -just lye and water- is available for purchase? I’ve seen a couple of Japanese YouTube soapers who use that, and I’ve always wondered where they purchase that.

If that is your plan, please make sure the solution contains nothing but lye and water. I say that bc pre-mixed solutions in the US, where I live, contain many other additives because those are used for cleaning drains, not making soap.

Also, be sure to check the strength of the solution, because pre-mixed sodium hydroxide solutions apparently come in different percentages of lye concentration. You must be careful with your math to ensure that you are using an appropriate amount to saponify your particular combination of oils. And every time that combination changes, you must recalculate how much of the premixed solution to use.

Honestly, making your own lye solution is easier, IMO. Plus, you must still use the same safety equipment when working with premixed lye solution: gloves and eye protection being the primary items (I assume you have long sleeves and shoes available already around the house). If you don’t have eye protection, you should not be using any lye solution, premixed or otherwise.

We don' t have this problem where I live (France). My pre-mixed solution contains 30 or 31% of lye (I have to recheck that) and nothing else.

I already have gloves, eye protection etc. except a protection mask. I know some people mix their lye without a mask but I don't want to risk myself at doing such thing before I purchase something to protect me from the lye fume.

And, as I said previously, once I acquire a mask, I will prepare my own lye solution.

Thank you!

Never said I won' t use lye. You totally misunderstood what I said :D

We don' t have this problem where I live (France). My pre-mixed solution contains 30 or 31% of lye (I have to recheck that) and nothing else.

I already have gloves, eye protection etc. except a protection mask. I know some people mix their lye without a mask but I don't want to risk myself at doing such thing before I purchase something to protect me from the lye fume.

And, as I said previously, once I acquire a mask, I will prepare my own lye solution.
Thanks for clarifying. I think most people who responded were assuming you lived in the US, where premixed lye solution is not available.

I totally understand your desire for a mask to protect from fumes. That is very smart if you have any pulmonary issues. I personally find that mixing my lye under the stove vent (with the fan running) is more than sufficient to prevent fumes from spreading or affecting me. But I respect your decision to wait for a mask (and am a bit jealous that you have premixed lye solution available).

You show Texas as your location so I am sure we all assumed you live in the US, where premixed lye solution is hard to find.
Maybe OP meant Paris, Texas?

I live in France. I just chose a random location.

I didn't know I could find Paris in USA lol

Thanks for clarifying. I think most people who responded were assuming you lived in the US, where premixed lye solution is not available.

I totally understand your desire for a mask to protect from fumes. That is very smart if you have any pulmonary issues. I personally find that mixing my lye under the stove vent (with the fan running) is more than sufficient to prevent fumes from spreading or affecting me. But I respect your decision to wait for a mask (and am a bit jealous that you have premixed lye solution available).

I thought until now that premixed lye was widely available in US. That's weird.

I would still advice you to wear a protection mask because you never know whether there are lye particles in suspension (which can be invisible) in your kitchen. I have discussed with someone who studies chemistry (thankfully because as a math student it doesn't help me that much when it comes to prepare soap) and even if they are manipulating a small amount of lye (or similar alkaline), they are still using their mask.

Last edited:
I thought until now that premixed lye was widely available in US. That's weird.

I would still advice you to wear a protection mask because you never know whether there are lye particles in suspension (which can be invisible) in your kitchen. I have discussed with someone who studies chemistry (thankfully because as a math student it doesn't help me that much when it comes to prepare soap) and even if they are manipulating a small amount of lye (or similar alkaline), they are still using their mask.
That is very true. Besides the lye fumes, there are small particles of clay, mica, and other additives floating about, as well as potentially unhealthy fumes from fragrance oils. Even essential oils can be irritants to eyes, nose, and lungs.

Although I can't say whether occasional exposure is a big problem, it is certainly worth taking precautions, especially today with the possible pulmonary effects from COVID. I do know that certain professional soapers routinely use a mask to avoid the cumulative effects.

I live in France. I just choose a random location.
I didn't know I could find Paris in USA lol
May I recommend that you change your profile location from "Texas" to "EU"? Otherwise, you will receive incorrect answers and advice regarding all kinds of things, including regulations, suppliers, and the availability or non-availability of premixed lye solution. ;)

Bottom line, folks on this forum are super helpful and friendly, but it is not respectful of their willingness to help if they waste their time responding with information that doesn't apply to your geographical location. That's where all the misunderstanding came from on this post.

And just for a fun bit of trivia :D towns in the US named "Paris" include the following:
  • Paris, Arkansas
  • Paris, Idaho
  • Paris, Illinois.
  • Paris, Indiana
  • Paris, Iowa
  • Paris, Kentucky
  • Paris, Maine
  • Paris, Michigan
  • Paris, Mississippi,
  • Paris, Missouri
  • Paris, New Hampshire
  • Paris, New York
  • Paris, Ohio
  • Paris, Oregon
  • Paris, Pennsylvania
  • Paris, Tennessee, a city
  • Paris, Texas, a city
  • Paris, Virginia
  • Paris, Wisconsin
  • Beresford, South Dakota, a city formerly called Paris
  • Loraine, California, an unincorporated community formerly called Paris

Last edited:
May I recommend that you change your profile location from "Texas" to "EU"? Otherwise, you will receive incorrect answers and advice regarding all kinds of things, including regulations, suppliers, and the availability or non-availability of premixed lye solution. ;)

Bottom line, folks on this forum are super helpful and friendly, but it is not respectful of their willingness to help if they waste their time responding with information that doesn't apply to your geographical location. That's where all the misunderstanding came from on this post.

And just for a fun bit of trivia :D towns in the US named "Paris" include the following:
  • Paris, Arkansas
  • Paris, Idaho
  • Paris, Illinois.
  • Paris, Indiana
  • Paris, Iowa
  • Paris, Kentucky
  • Paris, Maine
  • Paris, Michigan
  • Paris, Mississippi,
  • Paris, Missouri
  • Paris, New Hampshire
  • Paris, New York
  • Paris, Ohio
  • Paris, Oregon
  • Paris, Pennsylvania
  • Paris, Tennessee, a city
  • Paris, Texas, a city
  • Paris, Virginia
  • Paris, Wisconsin
  • Beresford, South Dakota, a city formerly called Paris
  • Loraine, California, an unincorporated community formerly called Paris

Location changed, thanks!

You, american, are lucky! You don't need to pay thousands of bucks to visit Paris. Everything is possible in the US :D

... except our beignets, baguettes, cafe au lait, and other such culinary delights somehow aren't the same when we eat them in Paris, Texas, as opposed to Paris, France. On many levels. ;)

I'm less than 50km from Paris, but over 100km from London. Soon @SPowers will be able to triangulate to find me!

With the last batch I made the solution outside - I was up wind of the pot and still at arms length. No chance of any fumes or particles getting near to my ruggedly handsom face.

While it is VERY important to respect the more dangerous aspects of soap making, it can also be something where people can go overboard. For example, if you're getting your face so far in to the fumes that particles of caustic substances can enter your lungs would mean that they will be resting on all other exposed areas of your face. So go with a full face mask............? Or maybe avoid getting yourself in to the fumes in the first place!

And if you DO get a mask, it has to be the correct sort worn correctly, or it won't do any good at all, and might lead to you thinking you're protected when you really aren't.

Paris is a beautiful spot! I think I'm heading your way next month - I won't tell anyone where you are!
I'll definitely recognize you if I see you! That red hair is distinctive, and I'm assuming you always carry a whisk almost as big as your head....

Latest posts

Back