Mildew smell help!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guspuppy

Reaction score
So, a couple years ago Gus was very sick. He came out of it with chronic kidney disease and leaks urine whenever he is asleep or extremely relaxed. Because of this I bought a waterproof cover for the couch, which I also cover with a blanket. That waterproof cover reeks of mildew whenever it gets warm from body heat. I have washed it in vinegar, borax, hung it on the line in the sun all day, nothing seems to help. It's a padded polyester cover with the waterproof layer somewhere inside. (Not an obvious plastic back or anything.)
Any ideas what to try next???
Thanks!!

Hmm, I seem to recall hearing that those types of smells can often be destroyed with heat - will it hold up to a hot wash? Or a hot tumble dry?

I always wash it in hot because of the urine. I have been hesitant to dry it on a really hot temp for fear of melting whatever the waterproofing is though. I think the heat was part of why the sunshine was supposed to work. But maybe I'll try it. I can hardly be worse off with a melted cover than a smelly one! I hate my couch anyway and plan to get rid of it when Gus departs this life, but don't want it to smell of pee in the meantime!

I think maybe it's because it is polyester. I have some bed pads that I use on my bed under where he lays beside me. They are also waterproof, but the padded top is cotton as opposed to polyester, and they wash up like a dream, with no lingering smell.

Can you wash it with bleach?

Bleach!!! I never even considered bleach but in looking up mildew smells in clothes its the top thing to try! Thank you so much! I'm going to try that for sure.

@lsg I used to use OxiClean all the time. Why did I stop?! If bleach doesn't work I'll try that next. Thank you!

@earlene I don't even know what PS80 is (sounds like a video game thing! 😂) but if all else fails I might try that. Thanks!

Bleach!!! I never even considered bleach but in looking up mildew smells in clothes its the top thing to try! Thank you so much! I'm going to try that for sure.

I hope it helps! I use bleach for my towels all the time. I've had some very moldy towels even come out with no smell after using bleach.

I'd try the bleach first, @Guspuppy. It is very good at removing mold & mildew from walls & windowsills. I never used it on polyester clothing (probably because I don't have any), so I sort of thought it would ruin it, but apparently not. Here's an article about how to use bleach on polyester. I learned something new today.

Back