Milder Sap value for coconut oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saintlysoaper

Reaction score
Okay, either I am being very dim here or there is a huge difference between the soapcalc and ozcalc lye calculators. Yes, I know ozcalc uses a lower sap value for Coconut oil, but 22g difference in weight? I must have made a mistake but I don't know where:confused:

Does anyone routinely use the ozcalc one? Can anyone point out my mistake please?

For ref. I put in 500g Coconut oil at 0%SF with water at 30%.

Wow, that's a huge difference. I took a poke at it and came up with the same results.

I don't know what to tell you, besides saying that my soap has never come out lye heavy using SoapCalc, and the SC agrees pretty closely with my Soap Maker 3 recipes as well.

Thanks songwind

I have always used soapcalc too. It seems a bit bizarre that 7%SF on the ozcalc has the same amount of lye as 30% on soapcalc!

Now is not the time to be messing that much with my recipes! I think I'll stick with soapcalc figures.

Yeah. If I'm following what Oz calc is doing, their sap value for CO is more like the sap value for lard, olive oil, etc. I really don't think this is right -- could be a typo in their database.

If you check any independent reference not affiliated with or working off of Soapcalc -- such as Certified Lye, Soapers Choice, Kevin Dunn, etc. -- you'll find they list NaOH sap values around 0.18 for coconut oil. I'm really, really not sure why the Ozcalc sap value is so different, unless it's a mistake.

Back