Might have to rethink my opinion on salt bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Primrose

Reaction score
So I've made several variants of salt bars using the advice given on this forum ... and hated them all. Gave it a long (1 year) cure and still hated it. Wasnt sure whether I just didnt like salt bars, or if I'd made some bad salt bars. So I got some from a lady who makes and sells very popular salt bars. Nope, still didnt like them. So I'd just accepted the fact that they werent my 'thing', I didnt like them.

Except last night I was wanting a bit of an exfoliating soap as its been our 5th consecutive day with temps over 110F and I was working outside ... well I grabbed a 3 yr old salt bar and actually liked it! It was a lovely soap

Turns out my skin just likes a really REALLY long cure for salt bars hahahaha

I'm with ya @Primrose my hubby loves them and can barely contain himself for the 4 month cure I make him wait. (In fact he can't and has been caught sneaking one off the cure rack to use.) My skin screams at 4 months, 1 year, 18 months... so I gave up on them. Until I found some in my soap stash that were close to 3 years old, made with split pumpkin puree, AVJ, and CM. My skin loved them! It was awesome until my hubby discovered I was hiding a salt bar on my side of the shower and started using it too. Whoever says "salt bars last forever" hasn't met my hubby, he can zip through a 4 ounce bar in a week. He's lucky he's cute so I'll keep making them for him ;)

I use mine on my whole body, it feels great on my psoriasis. I have only made one batch and have the recipe in on of my recipe books. I go in spurts using them--right now I am trying something different (need to make another batch soon) I am curious about your recipes. where do you find powdered salt--do you just grind it yourself?

I use mine on my whole body, it feels great on my psoriasis. I have only made one batch and have the recipe in on of my recipe books. I go in spurts using them--right now I am trying something different (need to make another batch soon) I am curious about your recipes. where do you find powdered salt--do you just grind it yourself?

I got the powdered sea salt from Salt Works. It was recommended here by a couple people. My recipe is 80% Coconut, 15% Avocado Oil & 5% Castor. I use 40-50% Salt. 18% SF.

I also use mine on my whole body.... I like the way my skin feels after I shower with it, after a day's (extra) sweat n grime.... I think refreshing is the word? So yeah.. They don't last long at all, considering in our humidity the sweat part is quite often lol

Also, it could be mine are newish? Not even 6mos but I like em already. I hid some bars from myself to try at the one year mark, and beyond, if I'm able to wait lol

Whoever says "salt bars last forever" hasn't met my hubby, he can zip through a 4 ounce bar in a week.
I love them but am disappointed at how fast they disappear
They don't last long at all, considering in our humidity
Wow - these quoted words really surprise me, but maybe it does have to do with humidity.
I have quite a few salt bars that are anywhere from 5-10 years old that I will use periodically.
If I use a 6oz salt bar from my stash using it from beginning to tiny sliver, with only me using it, every day in the shower, for my whole body, that sucker will last about 10-12 weeks. Once that bar is done though, I give it a rest and go back to my normal bars for a few months... My regular bars, same size, using the same way will usually only last about 6 weeks...
I use a bath poof - if maybe that's why they last longer? Also I'm in a pretty dry climate most of the year.

Also, it could be mine are newish?

good question mine are just at the 6 month mark--I am really surprised that the peppermint scent is still there--it is the longest that has lasted for me.
my salts bars are smaller than my other soap though. I am being very stingy with them--I think I gave a small bar to my DIL but the rest I am keeping for myself :)

Salt bars are the only soap I use on my face. I love mine, even at a year. Same thing with my daughter. I make her an entire batch at a time. It's her fave soap.

I made one batch once as a test, and use them only on my face as well. I made them a few years ago and they are very hard and seem to last a long time. I love the thick, creamy lather I get from them.

I'm with ya @Primrose my hubby loves them and can barely contain himself for the 4 month cure I make him wait. (In fact he can't and has been caught sneaking one off the cure rack to use.) My skin screams at 4 months, 1 year, 18 months... so I gave up on them. Until I found some in my soap stash that were close to 3 years old, made with split pumpkin puree, AVJ, and CM. My skin loved them! It was awesome until my hubby discovered I was hiding a salt bar on my side of the shower and started using it too. Whoever says "salt bars last forever" hasn't met my hubby, he can zip through a 4 ounce bar in a week. He's lucky he's cute so I'll keep making them for him ;)

The older I get the more I can't use them as my skin gets drier and drier :( Except in the HUMID hot Summer then it is ok lol

I use most of the salt bars that I have for when I come in from mechanic stuff or wood cutting.
They cut the dirt, pitch and oil right off.
LOOONG cure - start with 1 year but the ones at the sinks are 3 to 5 years.
They last - I use 100% salt BWO and all coconut oil.

I do have a Son-in law that uses them in the shower...

I make a black salt soap with fine black Hawaiian salt, Dead Sea mud, Aussie black clay and activated charcoal. They are black! Tea tree and lavender EOs, fresh pumpkin puree and coconut milk. I can't keep these in stock, by far my best selling soap.

Latest posts

Back