Might be fun, palm free recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuddleDesigns

Reaction score
I haven't used this recipe in a while, so I thought it might be fun to get a little feedback and see what people think, what could be added or subtracted, that sort of thing.

19oz (31.1%) Coconut oil
19oz (31.1%) Canola oil
19oz (31.1%) Olive Oil
4oz (6.6%) Castor oil

4 teaspoons of sodium lactate.

8.5oz lye
20.1oz water
5% superfat.

In my experience, it creates a nice hard bar of soap, but dissolves in water a little too quickly for my liking. Also doesn't hold onto fragrance very well. However, it gives a great lather, and a very nice clean feeling. I don't use it much anymore, stupidly because my new recipe has fewer ingredients that I have to list on the bars when I sell them. I'm lazy, sorry.

I personally would find the CO too high I go as high at 25% but no more as my skin doesn't like it much, and the Canola too high unless it's HO Canola, at the rate you have it may be subject to DOS. I also don't use Castor more than 5-6%. But, it's a personal choice and you can certainly try it to see if you like it. I like a better balanced bar of soap myself.

I wouldn't go over 30% coconut oil with a 5% superfat. Some people find that too high. Replace the canola with 30% lard. 5% Castor oil and the rest olive oil.

Oooo, you guys won't like my current one then. 100% coconut oil with 20% SF. It's made my best bars IMO. Long lasting, really clean feeling, my hands feel soft after. And the purity of the colorant. Why does CO have such a bad rep?

Oooo, you guys won't like my current one then. 100% coconut oil with 20% SF. It's made my best bars IMO. Long lasting, really clean feeling, my hands feel soft after. And the purity of the colorant. Why does CO have such a bad rep?
Not a bad rep, per se. More that it's too good at cleaning to be great for washing the body. Great for something like laundry or dishes (with gloves) but it cleans so well that it will strip the skin of all its natural oils. Using the 20% superfat is an attempt to overcome this by providing oil right in the bar to use up some of that overzealous cleaning capacity.

i would add shortening to this lower the coco . lower the canola to 18 split the olive oil to rice bran and OO and you have a nice hard bar..

Back