Microwave size

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MelissaG

Reaction score
So I want to stop using our own microwave for my business. My biggest container is 8x8x8 inches. I have NO idea how to size a microwave. I can't tell if the sizes I'm seeing on the websites are the inside or outside of the microwaves. Yeah, it says that it's 0.7 cubic feet but that doesn't guarantee that it's high enough for my containers.

For example: Home depot says the length of one of it's microwaves is 20.2" and that its 1.1 cubic feet and it's considered medium. What does that mean? I measured our microwave outside and it's 30" long so I'm assuming it's a large? My container has about an inch or two space above my container in our microwave.

I feel stupid. I just cannot visualize this in my head.

Don't feel bad - I have trouble with this too. If you don't live close enough to a store to go measure the interior or take your bucket in and physically set it in the microwave in the store to see how it fits, maybe see if the brand/model you are looking at is available on Amazon. Even if the description doesn't include the interior dimensions, someone has likely asked about it in the question section. Or you can ask the question yourself. I'd be happy to measure mine, but that probably won't really help you.

If there isn't a huge difference in price, would it make sense for you to get a larger size one - that way if you happen to want to scale up and change your bucket size you would have more options that will fit inside.

I had this exact problem, too! Sometimes I could find the interior size by looking up the manual online at the manufacturer's website. But most inexpensive microwaves these days are very short; only the more expensive ones are taller, it seems.

What I ended up doing was looking in thrift stores and on CL until I found an older model that was large enough to fit my container. It's big and heavy, but it was around $50 and does the trick.

Would it cause a problem with the stores if I take my biggest container in? I don't want to suddenly be confronted about doing something wrong.

I had this exact problem, too! Sometimes I could find the interior size by looking up the manual online at the manufacturer's website. But most inexpensive microwaves these days are very short; only the more expensive ones are taller, it seems.

What I ended up doing was looking in thrift stores and on CL until I found an older model that was large enough to fit my container. It's big and heavy, but it was around $50 and does the trick.
I finally found that home depot has the interior dimensions posted. Course, they are also more expensive than walmart. lol

Hmm, used might be a viable option. I hate used stuff but sometimes its not a matter of choice.

Would it cause a problem with the stores if I take my biggest container in? I don't want to suddenly be confronted about doing something wrong.
Yeah, I brought my container a few times into the thrift stores. Maybe if you put your initials on it ahead of time, so it is clear that it is yours? I did feel a little awkward about it, so I ended up making a note of the measurements in my phone, and carrying a small measuring tape in my purse.

Last edited:
Hi, found this on the web.

To determine cubic feet, multiply the microwave's interior length by width by height, then divide this total by 1,728. So, a microwave that is 17 by 14 by 12 inches is 1.6 cf in size. Microwaves of this size are generally considered to be medium-sized models and appropriate for most common microwave cooking tasks.

Been thinking of upgrading myself.

Just an idea, if your current microwave is working and doing a good job why not transfer it to the business side and buy a new MW for the family. You can charge the business side for your current MW the same price as the replacement kitchen MW. You know then that your business MW works for what your doing.

Just an idea, if your current microwave is working and doing a good job why not transfer it to the business side and buy a new MW for the family. You can charge the business side for your current MW the same price as the replacement kitchen MW. You know then that your business MW works for what your doing.
Wish I could but it's installed above the stove lol. I honestly don't know how they did it but it's drilled into the cupboards. Worried what will happen when we need to replace it because I don't see the screws and there isn't a board underneath which means it isn't in a cubby. If I buy one, I can put it on my shelves.

Shouldn't. And if never hurts to check in with customer service or grab a clerk. I needed to have hubby make frames for my loaf molds...took the mold into Home Depot. Need to pick up new pans for my toaster oven, pulled the rack and took it into Wal-Mart with me.

Shouldn't. And if never hurts to check in with customer service or grab a clerk. I needed to have hubby make frames for my loaf molds...took the mold into Home Depot. Need to pick up new pans for my toaster oven, pulled the rack and took it into Wal-Mart with me.
Thanks, I appreciate it. lol, it amazes me how difficult it is to visualize it.

Your hand span is probably about 8" from thumb tip to end of your pinkie. (you can check), just open the display model and put your fully extended hand in to see how much clearance you have side to side, front to back, top to bottom.

We just bought a new over the stove microwave and hubby was worried that the holes wouldn't match up with the new one, especially the vent to the outside. It appears that they are all standard. They give you a sheet of paper that is a template and it fit perfectly over the old holes. He had help with the lifting from our grandson. That should be one worry off your plate. With that said, the inside does not have the same amount of head space as my old one, but I can still get all my old containers in it....barely...but still works. I'd have no problem taking in notes of sizes and the container to check out sizes. I've done it many times with lots of things, seat pillows, old containers that I want to match, etc. It is really easy when you go in Walmart as there is always a greeter. I just tell them that I have this to match and they wave me through the door.

Yeah, I brought my container a few times into the thrift stores. Maybe if you put your initials on it ahead of time, so it is clear that it is yours? I did feel a little awkward about it, so I ended up making a note of the measurements in my phone, and carrying a small measuring tape in my purse.
Prefer this method over carrying the item with me, just because I may not have it with me when shopping. But sometimes I forget the measurements as well. But at least I always have the measuring tape with me. My only worry is that someone might accuse me of stealing when I open my purse to get out or put away my reading glasses or measuring tape. That happened once in a very busy store and both my husband & I were partially searched! The only thing the guy did not demand to look inside was my purse, surprisingly. It was embarrassing, though.
Done this many times, and it has never created a problem for me other than remembering to put it in the car.
We just bought a new over the stove microwave and hubby was worried that the holes wouldn't match up with the new one, especially the vent to the outside. It appears that they are all standard. They give you a sheet of paper that is a template and it fit perfectly over the old holes. He had help with the lifting from our grandson. That should be one worry off your plate. With that said, the inside does not have the same amount of head space as my old one, but I can still get all my old containers in it....barely...but still works. I'd have no problem taking in notes of sizes and the container to check out sizes. I've done it many times with lots of things, seat pillows, old containers that I want to match, etc. It is really easy when you go in Walmart as there is always a greeter. I just tell them that I have this to match and they wave me through the door.
Thank you for posting this! I have been wanting to replace our over-stove microwave for a while now.

Your hand span is probably about 8" from thumb tip to end of your pinkie. (you can check), just open the display model and put your fully extended hand in to see how much clearance you have side to side, front to back, top to bottom.
I measured my hand, pinkie to thumb tip ages ago and have been measuring things this way ever since.

I measured my hand, pinkie to thumb tip ages ago and have been measuring things this way ever since.
Also, you probably know: often the first thumb section is ~ an inch, for those who use imperial units , in smallish-women size ppl.
Plus the nose to outstretched fingers for a yard, for the sewing inclined.

Also, you probably know: often the first thumb section is ~ an inch, for those who use imperial units , in smallish-women size ppl.
Wow, that's useful. Thank you.

Thanks everyone. That is all so helpful. I had no idea.

It's a good guesstimate, but you'll be off about 6" per yard. A better guesstimate as I was taught while working at a fabric store, is from the grasped end of the fabric to the end of the opposite collar bone (where it meets your upper arm). You can also count the wraps on the bolt...two wraps per yard.

It's a good guesstimate, but you'll be off about 6" per yard. A better guesstimate as I was taught while working at a fabric store, is from the grasped end of the fabric to the end of the opposite collar bone (where it meets your upper arm). You can also count the wraps on the bolt...two wraps per yard.
Duh.

I've been sewing for nearly 60 years, and as I said, these are handy *estimates*.

Back