Microwave- and pouring-friendly bows suggestions?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

songwind

Reaction score
Microwave- and pouring-friendly bowls suggestions?

I'm hoping people can chime in with their favorite mixing vessel for making moderate size batches (3 to 5 lb oil) of soap.

Ideally, I want to find something that is:
  • microwave safe for melting oils
  • easy to hold with a solidly attached handle
  • has a nicely functional spout.

I have two of these plastic bowls in 4 quart size. The size is great, and they handle the microwave like a champ. However, the spout is both narrow and shallow so it doesn't pour very well. Also, there's no actual handle which can make controlling things difficult.

I also have a melamine bowl like this one. The size is good for the 3lb batches, and the pouring spout is great. The handle is sturdy, too. However, it isn't rated as microwave safe. I've used it in the microwave with no apparently harm, but the handle got really hot, which makes me think that's not a great idea.

So as you can see, I have a couple of options that hit 2 of the 3 requirements.

What do you use?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be following this. I've been using 1 gallon buckets and then transfer into smaller vessels with spouts after mixing to color. I've not found anything large enough to hold my 5 lbs. The buckets fit in my smallish microwave.

I use these if I don't use my hdpe buckets, but they are not cheap and are not listed as micro safe but I do use them just not all the time http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004SHXRWY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
I have used them in the micro.

check these out. http://www.jcpenney.com/rachael-ray-2-pc-ceramic-mixing-bowl-set/prod.jump?ppId=pp5003320316&selectedSKUId=78113650026&selectedLotId=7811365&fromBag=true&quantity=1&cm_mmc=ShoppingFeed-_-GooglePLA-_-Mixing%20Bowls-_-78113650026&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=mixing%20bowls&utm_content=78113650026&gclid=COm-kJLmxMgCFYI7gQodyssCoA&kwid=productads-plaid^83170171298-sku^78113650026-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^45810124418

hdpe buckets are probably still the safest

I'll be following this. I've been using 1 gallon buckets and then transfer into smaller vessels with spouts after mixing to color.

I have some 24oz or so spouted pitchers that work great for smaller amounts of colored soap for designs. I just want to be able to do an in the pot swirl into cavity molds without making a mess!

I use these if I don't use my hdpe buckets, but they are not cheap http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004SHXRWY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
I have used them in the micro.

How well does the spout work on these? They seem pretty similar to the ones I have.

I recently bought those white plastic pitchers from dollar tree that I see in most of the soaping videos. They have a pour spout, hold 5 lbs of stuff( either the whole batch or just oils), are microwave safe but they are not very sturdy and you need to steady them with both hands while pouring if they are full. I am looking at the gallon HDPE pails too but they need to have a sturdy plastic handle instead of the aluminum ones. I found some at midland hardware while browsing their site for funnel pitchers.

I recently bought those white plastic pitchers from dollar tree that I see in most of the soaping videos. They have a pour spout, hold 5 lbs of stuff( either the whole batch or just oils), are microwave safe but they are not very sturdy and you need to steady them with both hands while pouring if they are full. I am looking at the gallon HDPE pails too but they need to have a sturdy plastic handle instead of the aluminum ones. I found some at midland hardware while browsing their site for funnel pitchers.

Those pitcher/bowls work well and I use them for my smaller batches. I really like the ones they sometimes carry with the handle on the outside instead of being one continuous unit better. I find they start cracking/breaking at the handle after awhile. But for 1.00 they are inexpensive. I remove the handles on the buckets, they get in the way when I'm pouring in a hurry sometimes and soapy batter gets all over them.

*Do NOT use melamine in the microwave that does not specifically say microwave safe!*

Did you know it's made up of urea and formaldehyde (and more)? Yes, pee extract and tissue preservative. When it's at room temp, all is good. When you heat it, it breaks down into what it is made up of. So, this goes into your food/soap and the vapors go into your microwave/lungs. Even the dishwasher can trigger the breakdown of melamine. Do not microwave it! It's not even good to put really hot food on it.

The tainted baby formula in China back in 200? (2008 I think) contained melamine. Made a bunch of babies sick and several died.... I know we're not eating our soap, but why take the chance of introducing more chemicals into it.

Back away from the melamine dishes .....baaaacccckkkk

/public service announcement

You can use anything with a 2 or 5 in the little triangle on the bottom. I use this (one for lye and one for oils). I like it because it's see through, it's deep and the 2 litre fits a 700g mix with lots of room to mix.
This is 2 litre = 67 oz. you can also get a 3 litre = 100oz but the handle is a bit different.
http://www.decor.com.au/product/casual-jug-2-0-litre/

Last edited:
Those pitchers won't fit in the microwave and that's what he's looking for. I have a couple like that but they don't work in my microwave at all. Too tall. I can mix my lye in them but they are still not large enough to hold 5 lbs of oils and then lye.

I have one that holds a 3 lb batch perfectly at home. I just tried to find it online but I cant. Its from kitchen collection. I'll get a picture of it. They come with a top that has a removeable silicone/rubber insert in it. I really wish they made one just a little wider so it could accommodate a 5 lb batch.

It has a sturdy handle, a defined pour spout, holds 72 oz or liquid, has a top, is made of plastic (2 or 5) and fits in my tiny microwave. I love it when I make my 3 lb batches.

I'm going to keep trying to find it. I bought two of them in the actual store but I cant even find anything like them online when I look.

Those pitchers won't fit in the microwave and that's what he's looking for. I have a couple like that but they don't work in my microwave at all. Too tall. I can mix my lye in them but they are still not large enough to hold 5 lbs of oils and then lye.

Mine fit in my microwave. That's how I heat my oils.

I have what I'm sure is the same pitcher Galaxy is talking about and it is perfect for smaller batches, which is all I make. I can't find it online either, but I did get it at a Kitchen Collection store in an outlet mall. I think it was called a batter bowl.

I got pictures! :)

uploadfromtaptalk1444961084130.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1444961091772.jpg

The SB bell fits perfectly in that top. It helps control spray over. I also got mine at a kitchen collection outlet in a mall like dibbles! The labels are no longer visable so I don't know what it was called...

I should also say I got this in the last 2 months or so. There is a good chance its still at your local one (if you have one...).

Last edited:

View attachment 17223View attachment 17224

The SB bell fits perfectly in that top. It helps control spray over. I also got mine at a kitchen collection outlet in a mall like dibbles! The labels are no longer visable so I don't know what it was called...

I should also say I got this in the last 2 months or so. There is a good chance its still at your local one (if you have one...).

Good work!! That is mine exactly (except my lid is lime green). I really like it.

Sounds pretty great, I'll have to see if there's one in my area.

Edit: looks like there's an outlet in the town up the road where I work.

Songwind, I got my funnel pour pitchers there as well. This was last January though, and I haven't been back since (not very close to me). I got two - wish I'd picked up more. If they still have them there when you go, would you post?

I have what I'm sure is the same pitcher Galaxy is talking about and it is perfect for smaller batches, which is all I make. I can't find it online either, but I did get it at a Kitchen Collection store in an outlet mall. I think it was called a batter bowl.

A batter bowl? I'm off to check these out, TY :)

Back