Microwave- and pouring-friendly bows suggestions?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Galaxy and Dibbles -- is this batter bowl pretty sturdy? Like when you pick it up by the handle when it's filled with soap batter, it feels safe and strong for holding and pouring?

I have used old 4 or 5 quart ice cream buckets and similar plastic tubs and bowls, but I dislike how they aren't very sturdy and deform when I pick them up to pour. To their credit, hey're light and microwave safe.

I also some melamine bowls that are super sturdy, easy and safe to pick up, have a pour spout for fewer drips, and have grippy feet so they don't slide, But they definitely aren't microwave safe and they're a bit on the heavy side.

Seems like I can't find something that satisfies all my soapy needs. Very frustrating.

If this batter bowl is sturdy enough for you guys, I'm gonna try it. I like how it has a cover so I can pre-measure my fats one day and soap the next if I want. I also like how it can be microwaved.

Eagan is about 3 1/2 hours away from me :( so I think I'll have to stick to online ordering.

Kathy -- I've seen and used that type of mixing bowl. My only reservation is the handle on the Dollar Store version of this design is fairly flexible. I just don't feel comfortable using it for soaping.

I have also gotten a similar bowl that looks almost the same as yours except the handle slips into a groove on the bowl. I learned the hard way that the handle can come off the bowl without warning (thankfully this experience was not with soap batter!) After cleaning up the mess, that bowl went into the trash.

Last edited:
I find the bowl is not flimsy (not anything like the dollar store ones). It does have a tiny bit of give when you fill it most/ all of the way (60+ oz). I think I've melted my 63 oz of oil in this before. I've got a lot of containers so sometimes I forget what I've done with some and others.

I can make my 58 oz (total batter amount) batches with no problem and pour directly with this. I'm pretty sure I use two hands though (more for stabilization than anything). My biggest gripe with this bowl is that it doesnt have a long spout so the pour is VERY wide. It also tends to dribble a bit on itself. If you pour too much, too fast its almost like it doesnt even have a spout so go steady with it.

Last edited:
DeeAnna, I agree with everything Galaxy said. If there is any give upon lifting, it is minimal. I usually make about 32 oz (oils) batches though. If I need to have a narrower pour, I'll transfer the batter into a better suited vessel - and usually that involves splitting the batch for coloring anyway. I love this pitcher. The Eagan mall doesn't have it there any more (someone just checked for me at Thanksgiving time), so I'd stick with online ordering. My daughter went to Luther, so I have an idea of the drive you have and I wouldn't risk it. It was cheaper at the outlet mall when I found it there, but you'd spend more in gas than the difference on Amazon. Not to mention your time. I ordered a second one when I found it online, so I can have the luxury of not washing messy soapy dishes if I want to soap 2 days in a row. If you order one and don't love it, I'll buy it from you - I like it that much!!

I've used the dollar store bowls too, but the handle flexes way too much for my liking. Even though I had 2 hands on it, that is the bowl that caused my oil spill going up to the kitchen to rewarm oils. It is nice to use for an ITP swirl though.

Galaxy and Dibbles -- You two are really upbeat about the performance of this mixing bowl -- not perfect, but really good -- so I've put it on my shopping list. I have some 1000 mL (1 quart) and 500 mL (1 pint) pitchers that have wonderful pour spouts, so I'm good if I need to pour accurately. Thank you for your thoughts!

Dibbles -- I'm about 1/2 hour mostly east and a bit south of Decorah, out in the country. We go up to the Twin Cities to visit friends, but not real often.

Latest posts

Back