Micro buisness man

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conman

Reaction score
Hello from Kentucky!

It has always been my dream to run my own buisness as opposed to having a traditional job. I recently graduated with my MBA. Before I get into running my own small buisness I need money and I need to taste what it is like to have my own business. So to do that I have a full time job right now and am looking to start a side hustle or micro-business. Making and selling soap seems to be a good side hustle to get my feet wet so I am here to learn.

I am thinking of starting with the basic melt and pour method then maybe later move on to a more complicated process.

Looking forward to being here

Good luck with that. But just so you know, people here aren't their usual generous selves when they know there is money motivation rather than a true passion for soapmaking. So you might silently poke around existing posts for awhile rather than directly request peoples' hard-earned knowledge right off the bat. If you change your mind and come from another angle (or find the monkey on your back), I'm sure folks will recognize that too. It really is your choice. Hope we laugh about this later ;)

Luna makes a very good point - learning to make soap to start a business to get used to running a business so that you can then run a business that you like makes no sense at all. Such a round-a-bout and convoluted way.

I guess some things aren't taught in the MBA courses.

Soaping takes a long time to get used to. Not to mention you're going up against people who are established and know their craft, products and market much better than you do. It makes no business sense to plan to enter a saturated market that you don't know with a product that you don't know. I would have thought that was covered in the MBA course, surely.

There is already something that you know and can do which is possible as a side hustle, you just need to work out what that is.

Normally, I let posts like this slide but somehow I feel insulted here. I agree with all the other posts about this.

First off, a user name like CONMAN makes one go "hmmmmm".

Secondly, referring to a craft that we all love and work very hard at, as a "side hustle" again, seems insulting.

MBA lesson Number One: Learn a skill or craft and perfect that. THEN, when and IF you develop a passion for that skill or craft, begin researching the market in your area. Check out the competiton locally and then look at it from a global point of view. Do your homework.

MBA lesson Number Two: Don't come to the home of people who are passionate about what they do, whether or not those people have ligitimate businesses in that field and insult them but calling their trade a "side hustle". It doesn't exactly earn you any respect. And respect is something you are going to need in a ligitimate business of ANY kind.

Sorry for the rant... I feel better now!

Normally, I let posts like this slide but somehow I feel insulted here. I agree with all the other posts about this.

First off, a user name like CONMAN makes one go "hmmmmm".

Secondly, referring to a craft that we all love and work very hard at, as a "side hustle" again, seems insulting.

MBA lesson Number One: Learn a skill or craft and perfect that. THEN, when and IF you develop a passion for that skill or craft, begin researching the market in your area. Check out the competiton locally and then look at it from a global point of view. Do your homework.

MBA lesson Number Two: Don't come to the home of people who are passionate about what they do, whether or not those people have ligitimate businesses in that field and insult them but calling their trade a "side hustle". It doesn't exactly earn you any respect. And respect is something you are going to need in a ligitimate business of ANY kind.

Sorry for the rant... I feel better now!
This Exactly!!!!

Good luck with that. But just so you know, people here aren't their usual generous selves when they know there is money motivation rather than a true passion for soapmaking. So you might silently poke around existing posts for awhile rather than directly request peoples' hard-earned knowledge right off the bat.

I was going to say almost exactly this - but didn't want to be the first :)
Agree 100%

Honestly, if you want a "side hustle" or micro business, go learn some 2D graphic arts (you can use a free program called Gimp) or 3D modeling (theres a free program called Blender) and sell either on-line or in a virtual world. Theres a LOT less overhead (none if you do it right) and everything is a lot faster (selling, marketing, no shipping etc...).

You need to learn a bit of the 2D arts anyway for labels, photography and branding anyways

Just MHO

I think I have given off the wrong impression here

Yes I am going to start as a side hustle but that is just because I can't afford to quit my job.

Yes my first passion is for buisness but that doesn't mean I don't like making soap.

I love the ability create and experiment. I am just not jumping into this expecting a full time job to develop although I would like for it to happen.

I used to turn and sell pens as a side hustle on a very small scale and loved creating something people wanted to buy however I had a stroke 2 years ago and although I am about 85% back my left hand is still not steady enough to turn wood anymore. Since then I have been looking for something new to creat and sell. Soap making seems to be that opportunity and a more lucrative buisness oppertunity and I will run it more like a buisness but that doesn't mean I won't like making soap

I think I have given off the wrong impression here

Yes I am going to start as a side hustle but that is just because I can't afford to quit my job.

Yes my first passion is for buisness but that doesn't mean I don't like making soap.

I love the ability create and experiment. I am just not jumping into this expecting a full time job to develop although I would like for it to happen.

I used to turn and sell pens as a side hustle on a very small scale and loved creating something people wanted to buy however I had a stroke 2 years ago and although I am about 85% back my left hand is still not steady enough to turn wood anymore. Since then I have been looking for something new to creat and sell. Soap making seems to be that opportunity and a more lucrative buisness oppertunity and I will run it more like a buisness but that doesn't mean I won't like making soap

Okay, once again. We do not call what we do a side hustle. We are artisans making handcrafted products. Also, apparently, you haven't a clue about what it takes to be a soapmaker or B&B artisan. It's certainly not lucrative for most. I highly suggest you try it first before even beginning to think of it as a business. Most folks actually still have full-time jobs and run their soap business on the side (me). A lot of folks here have found it as an amazing hobby/art. Also, soapmaking is not a cheap hobby or business. Until you start pricing ingredients, molds, cutters, packaging etc....you really have no idea. Folks here are very helpful as long as you don't insult them and their art.

I used to turn and sell pens as a side hustle on a very small scale and loved creating something people wanted to buy however I had a stroke 2 years ago and although I am about 85% back my left hand is still not steady enough to turn wood anymore

I'm sorry to hear you had a stroke. Have you considered using your woodworking skills for larger projects. If you're looking to develop a business, you could learn to make molds, cutters, soap dishes, etc. You'd have less of a learning curve. I like wooden molds with silicone or acrylic liners so making liners would be something else to create.

eta: I realized this sounded like I was discouraging you from soapmaking. That wasn't my intent. I meant start with woodworking if you can and learn soapmaking, too. You might end up designing a mold (or cutter) which is better from learning new skills at soapmaking. I'm sure you've heard the old saying "Build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door". It's possible your skill with woodworking can give you a different perspective to the process.

Last edited:
Wow, it's been a while since I have been on the SMF, but I am a bit shocked at how quickly everyone attacked. I like the honesty in this post, truth be told, and as a soap maker, I do understand from the point of view, that it's a learned craft, but geez guys, the welcome wagon was a bit overturned here, don't ya think?

I'm sorry to hear you had a stroke. Have you considered using your woodworking skills for larger projects. If you're looking to develop a business, you could learn to make molds, cutters, soap dishes, etc. You'd have less of a learning curve. I like wooden molds with silicone or acrylic liners so making liners would be something else to create.
I have to really agree it would be a shame to waste your woodworking skills. I am sure you can still use your skills even it your hand is not steady enough to turn pens. BTW I love hand turned pens. Hopefully someday you will get full use. Strokes are so blasted hateful, sorry to hear you had to go through such. I think your choice of wording, calling it a side hustle business is what ruffled feathers the most. Good luck to you in whatever venture you choose

I'm truly sorry to hear about your stroke. and hope that you re-gain your mobility 100%.

I think your choice of wording, calling it a side hustle business is what ruffled feathers the most. Good luck to you in whatever venture you choose

Yes- this ^^^hit the nail on the head. We soap-makers are very passionate and protective of our craft. Re: the words 'side hustle', well...... them thar be fightn' words that bring out the inner protective lion in us, so to speak! lol I hope you don't hold it against us, though, and that you stick around and learn more about soap-making from all our wonderful and talented members.

IrishLass :)

I think there is an implication that making soap is easy money. If that is what thw thought is I think you are setting yourself up for a huge disappointment.

Yeah agree with all. What made you decide on soap making is my question. I'm not selling, and this is something I haven't always been "passionate" about. That said it's something I've, since gotten an itch to try, something I've become a tad:think: obsessed ...:twisted:
Yes, obsessed with haha!!!!!
I got an itch to try it, and learned all I could, for a beginner. Then attempted it. Did ok. Tried again. Eh, disappointed some but encouraged. Tried again, wait need supplies! Did pretty good. Tried again, don't want more supplies but the craft is calling...
Ok, not too shabby, until I waited weeks and weeks and saw lather was crummy....not great so tried again and......

You get the hint.

Money down the drain, hobby turns into a passion and obsession....and once I finally reach rock bottom in my wallet, I'll probably be decent and decide to sell.

Mba..........huh...........well lemme ask. What in the world made you think this was lucrative?!?!:thumbdown:
:it's a money pit imo, until you find your perfect bar and perfect scenario for selling.

You woodwork? Etsy THAT, something you don't have to waste funds on perfecting and you'll have yourself a fine little establishment in no time!

Then if you a sell, it's a break even for a while.
ETA
Edit!! You want to soap???? Awesome! Start off making woodwork for soaping THEN while you learn soaping you make cash. Once you're good, sell soap! Easy peasy. Don't want to discourage you learning a new craft whatsoever....just trying to point out the money end vs the fun end vs the debt end vs the etc etc etc end.

Last edited:
Back