mice/mouse problems

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deighturp

Reaction score
Hello all, not sure if this the right place to bring this up, but here goes. I had my soap all lined up on my work bench letting it dry, or cure. I picked up one of the bars and OMG there were tooth marks on it. It was my coconut and olive oil soap. Then I started noticing the little droppings around on my work area. Checked the droppings with Google and Google says that they are indeed mice/mouse size. Am I the only person this has happened to? Is there some sort of solution to this problem? I've got to let the soap cure so it has to be in an open area. Could sure use some help here.

Hello all, not sure if this the right place to bring this up, but here goes. I had my soap all lined up on my work bench letting it dry, or cure. I picked up one of the bars and OMG there were tooth marks on it. It was my coconut and olive oil soap. Then I started noticing the little droppings around on my work area. Checked the droppings with Google and Google says that they are indeed mice/mouse size. Am I the only person this has happened to? Is there some sort of solution to this problem? I've got to let the soap cure so it has to be in an open area. Could sure use some help here.

Yep, mice love soap!
Here you go: https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/mouse-chews.68833/

I use ultra sonic electronic pest deterrents, but I have no pets. I keep them plugged in at all times since we had mice here one winter several years ago. We have not seen a single hint of evidence of mice since I started using them.

I have one of those things too. It was on the other side of my work room, and they still came. Yesterday I moved it so it was maybe 15" or 16" from my soap bait (old bars of my soap) this morning when I went out there I had caught a tail of one of them, not sure what happen to the rest of it. So the electronic deterrent doesn't seem to be working so good. FYI I now bot regular traps and the sticky traps. Don't dare use poison, cause I don't know where they will die (don't want them dead in work room).

Oh. Maybe my new hobby is why I have suddenly got mice. I've never had mice before.

My cat does seem to be enjoying them though. She caught one a few weeks ago and woke me up with all her "fun". She decided my bedroom was the best place to play with it. At 3 am. I was not pleased. I'd prefer she played with it outside. Unfortunately she always brings her toys to wherever I am.

She hasn't bought me any presents the last few weeks though so I'm hoping it was one family and she's dealt with them.

I was planning a out of town trip, so I set my spring traps with bait, set out my glue traps around several bars of soap and was gone for 7 days. I also unplugged my electric pest eliminator (scare away thingy) so the mice would take the bait. When I got back, late at night, I wanted to go to the work shop and take out the dead mice. But, I waited until morning to go there. When I opened the doors I expected to see several dead mice, hoping for 3, maybe there would be 2 and maybe at least there would be one. THERE WERE NONE!!! So I plugged in the electric thing, picked up the traps (oh and all the bait was gone as well) and now just hoping that the electric gadget will work a little better and will keep them at bay.

Deighturp, how old is your electronic pest deterrent thingy? And is it placed so there is nothing blocking it (such as behind a dresser)? And is it rated to handle the room size? They, as all electronics, can start to fail as they get old and begin to wear out. In fact mine are so old, I have been thinking of investing in some new ones again. And I use two in our larger rooms, due to square footage ratings.

Those plug in deterrent things don't work well. Suppose to work on Spiders too... no, no they don't.

I tell you, worth it to get the ZAP type electric mouse trap. You don't even have to touch the dead thing, just unplug and tilt into the trash ;)

Latest posts

Back