MICE! Grrr

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know there are folks who don't believe electronic pest devices work, but for me they do and I have not had a mouse return to our house since plugging one in for every room in the house, as well as the basement and the garage. We had mice gnawing through the floor boards from underneath our front entry steps and through the basement and up the cold air intake vents (yes we saw them come out the vent once or twice.) I used steel wool stuffed into the hole they made in the entryway, but the other route required more definitive action. I switched to the electronic devices.

Eventually these devices do have to be replaced, but so far I have only had to replace one of them (it overheated and looked slightly scorched.) I am working on buying a few for the other house since the previous tenants seemed to have a mouse infestation, which I gather from the amount of mice droppings I had to clean up when they moved out.

But now that Kitty Baby lives here, she'd catch one if it ever did venture inside. She is one fabulous huntress.

Sorry to go against the kind instant kill approach, but while our two invaders merrily ignored all 12 snap traps located all around their favorite haunts, glue traps with peanut butter took care of them. I know they struggle, and my daughter now hates me for making her kill the one that she found (we were hours from getting off work), but they work. They work. Period.
Sorry to go against the kind instant kill approach, but while our two invaders merrily ignored all 12 snap traps located all around their favorite haunts, glue traps with peanut butter took care of them. I know they struggle, and my daughter now hates me for making her kill the one that she found (we were hours from getting off work), but they work. They work. Period.
I don't like the sticky traps either but you are right, they WORK!! I'm thankful that the menfolk in my house take care of disposing of the critters 😳😱😬

Little :mad:... I’m going to blame a few things. I blame: cold weather, that I stopped filling the bird feeder outside, and this (less preferable) new tallow that has a scent. The soap is unscented and uncolored, but my previous %100 tallow “naked” soap didn’t get munched. This new tallow has more scent to it. So far none of my soaps with EOs have been munched. I have one other unscented soap, but it’s a blend of oils. Still I moved that batch.
I can NOT abide nice!!! I lived in a house with an infestation once and I’m scarred for life.
I set the one trap I have near the munched tallow soap. I’ll go buy more traps today. My soaps are in the garage, high up off the floor.
omg I hate mice!!!
Please give me all your vermin killing and repelling techniques that you’ve used that WORK.
Ack!!!
My friend who does pest control as a side gig says bird feeders just attract mice, so stopping filling it is probably a good idea. Agree the glue traps are mean. Poison is gross. Set tons of snap traps. I use canned peanut butter that is supposed to be for dog treats, the brand name is “Kong”, handy to be able to spray it out of the nozzle. Plastic snap traps are easier to set than the old fashioned wooden kind but I use those too. My pest control friend says don’t wash the traps after you catch one, reuse it, because mice will be attracted to the smell of the dead mouse that was there. It’s gross but he’s right - once a trap catches one it seems to be a winner. Another bait tip is hot gluing dog kibble onto the trap, that’s what my sister does.
Are you 100% sure it’s mice and not rats chewing your soap? There are plastic rat traps too but rats are fiendishly smart and not as adventuresome about checking out traps.
Good luck. I hate when mice come inside.

Last edited:
Little :mad:... I’m going to blame a few things. I blame: cold weather, that I stopped filling the bird feeder outside, and this (less preferable) new tallow that has a scent. The soap is unscented and uncolored, but my previous %100 tallow “naked” soap didn’t get munched. This new tallow has more scent to it. So far none of my soaps with EOs have been munched. I have one other unscented soap, but it’s a blend of oils. Still I moved that batch.
I can NOT abide nice!!! I lived in a house with an infestation once and I’m scarred for life.
I set the one trap I have near the munched tallow soap. I’ll go buy more traps today. My soaps are in the garage, high up off the floor.
omg I hate mice!!!
Please give me all your vermin killing and repelling techniques that you’ve used that WORK.
Ack!!!
OMG' I so hate mice or snakes. Besides The Obvious Mice Traps & Poison Ive always Had Cats' A Good Mouser Has Been A Great Mice Deterrent. Good Luck

Cleaned everything. No new sign. No traps gone off, or bait stolen. Sprayed a very “AWAKENING” amount of peppermint oil around the areas we’d had sign before. Reviews are about equal for the ultrasonic machines and the peppermint spray, and I already have peppermint. Still out of 83 batches of soap over 10 months, only one batch got munched. My %100 tallow bar. So, will continue to monitor and use these methods, and then go from there.

omg I hate mice!!!
Ack!!!
Hot pepper flake!

I don’t know where you live, but getting rid of one mouse just invites another to take it’s place. I don’t like killing mice, so we try to make the place uninviting. They will come into the garage if it’s cold outside.if in the country a snake is a great idea. Where I live, outdoor cats get eaten by coyotes. There are plenty of harmless snakes. Our yard in the city is full of native plants. Lizards eat the spiders and bugs, as do lots of birds, raptors and owls come to catch rats and mice. Skunks, opossums and raccoons prowl for scraps, flycatchers eat the mosquitos, and, though I’ve never seen one, we have harmless snakes. Make your yard inviting, if you have one, and they will remove your mouse problem.

Snakes are good! They eat mice and rats! The only problem in Louisiana and Texas is that you have about a 50% chance of that snake being venomous.
Same here in Florida. I remember me and my ex standing at the door looking at a snake on the porch..is it red on black or yellow on black, or black on yellow? Looking it up to see if it is a coral snake or not LOL. There's a jingle to help you determine if it is a venomous coral snake or a nearly identical non-venomous snake.

Red touches black, friend of Jack. Red touches yellow, kill a fellow...in case anybody is wondering lol.

We also have rattle snakes, pygmie rattlers, water moccasins, and probably a dozen more. Sooooo, I think I'd rather deal with the mice than inviting snakes on my property LOL

Same here in Florida. I remember me and my ex standing at the door looking at a snake on the porch..is it red on black or yellow on black, or black on yellow? Looking it up to see if it is a coral snake or not LOL. There's a jingle to help you determine if it is a venomous coral snake or a nearly identical non-venomous snake.

Red touches black, friend of Jack. Red touches yellow, kill a fellow...in case anybody is wondering lol.

We also have rattle snakes, pygmie rattlers, water moccasins, and probably a dozen more. Sooooo, I think I'd rather deal with the mice than inviting snakes on my property LOL
Yes red touches yellow' will kill a fellow. yikes 😱

I'm w/ you if you see a snake in this Desert It's probably a Diamond Back Or Mojave Green the latter being most deadly.

For outbuildings: Smear peanut butter in a horizontal stripe (about 1 inch wide) inside a 5-gallon bucket, about 4 inches down from the rim. Put a chunk of wood or something about 6 inches high next to the outside base of the bucket. Fill the bucket about half-full of water. Dump the bodies daily in and discard in the trash. They can be greedy and fall into the water while stretching to reach the peanut butter.

In your house: Use a snap trap. Jam a relatively dry raisin under the hook on the bait tray. Then smear the raisin and tray with peanut butter. Then set the trap. Small mice are able to lick off the peanut butter without triggering the trap, but even small mice trigger it when they try to pull out the raisin.

If you decide to use hardware cloth to build a storage box, use 1/4" because small mice can get through the 1/2". We used to raise mice for a pet snake and the littles eventually managed to reach the 1/2' hardware cloth used for a cage lid. The cages were in the cat house, where the cats eat and have litter boxes... Cats thought it was a lot of fun, me --not so much.

Snakes are good! They eat mice and rats! The only problem in Louisiana and Texas is that you have about a 50% chance of that snake being venomous.
That would be scary. It’s not like that here. There are timber rattlesnakes but they are very rare and limited to a few locations.🐍
Meanwhile... we have a mouse (I hope it’s a mouse and not a bigger rodent) in the ceiling of our bedroom that is driving me absolutely crazy. There is no open attic, it’s in the space between the ceiling and the attic floor. Starts up in the evening. I have a noise repellant gadget directed into a 1 inch hole I drilled in the wall but it is not deterred. Gaaaahhhhh...

Latest posts

Back