Micas

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penelopejane

Reaction score
Another disappointing colour test. Using Mica Shiraz, Watermelon and Cherry Blossom from My mica obsession. Each colour was mixed in 1 tbsp of OO and then mixed into 140g oils (5 oz)(about 200g batter about 7oz)

First soap I tried (from the bottom up)
1: 1/2 tsp Shiraz mica
2: 1/2 tsp Watermelon mica
3: 1/2 tsp Cherry mica
4: 1/4 tsp Cherry mica + 1/32 pink clay
5: 1/2 tsp Watermelon mica + 1/8 pink clay
6: 1/4 tsp Watermelon mica + 1/8 pink clay
7: 1/8 tsp Shiraz mica + 1/8 pink clay + 3 drops carmine

Second soap I tried (from the bottom up)
1: 1 tsp Shiraz mica
2: 1 tsp Watermelon mica
3: 1 tsp Cherry mica
4: 1/2 tsp Shiraz mica
5: 1/2 tsp Watermelon mica
6: 1/2 tsp Cherry mica
7: 1 tsp Watermelon mica + 1/8 MMO pink clay

I don't know where I have gone wrong to come up with such pale wishy washy colours. I am thinking of just using micas to sprinkle a line :(
Any suggestions on where I am going wrong? Double the amount seems to make no difference.

42 Mica Tester 1.JPG

43 Mica Tester 2.JPG

Last edited:
You just need to keep experimenting. What oils are you using? You aren't using anything that is dark, are you? What company did you get your colors from? Will you post a link to their website for me? I'd like to look at the micas you're using and see if I can help. I'm just guessing they're really light colors to begin with and that's the issue. (Not that I'm any kind of expert on micas.) BTW: I think those soaps are lovely.

ETA: Never mind. "My Mica Obsession" is the name of the company. (I thought you were just obsessed with micas.)

Hey, I just thought of this: did you gel these or not? If you don't let your soap gel, the micas don't really "pop" the way (I think) they should. That mica madness thing I did was CPOPd. I also used bright colors and a teaspoon of the color. Also, did you let the mica sit in the OO for a few minutes to disperse/dissolve before you started to stir it so that it was smooth. (I think I wrote that down in the instructions when I posted the mica madness info. If I didn't, then sorry!!) That's something I discovered I was doing wrong when I first started using the micas. I wasn't letting the mica sit in the oil. I just smashed it down with the blender to get it all wet and then blended it until it was smooth. I've discovered doing it that way makes the color not fully disperse in the batter.

I looked at the My Mica Obsession website and was only able to see the cherry blossom and shiraz samples. But I'm not sure how accurate my monitor is. The cherry looks kind of bubble gum pink and the shiraz is more of a rose. So, based on what I've seen, I think you got pretty good colors. If you want them bolder, you'll need to use bolder micas (or mix colors together). You can use more mica to get a darker color, but if you use too much, you'll stain your wash cloth and maybe get colored suds. However, I don't think you're going to get anything but "wishy washy colors" when you use pastels. I made a soap using pastel micas and I used A LOT of mica. I CPOPd it, too, which I do to the majority of my soap. They're very washed out and faded looking. I probably won't use them together again in a design. It's not bad, but it's not my best work, either.

wishy washy colors.jpg

Last edited:
Honestly the colors are beautiful. If you want more bold colors you need to purchase micas made for achieving deep colors. Try vibrance micas, I think they were from natures garden. They give pretty true colors, but for the red you need to add in a raspberry color or something similar otherwise you'll get a dark red, like a deep maroon.

Those colors look great the way they are. I get most of my micas from Aussie soap supplies and I usually make up little squeeze bottles of a mica and olive oil and just add in what I need to get the color I want. I reduce my sf% so the extra olive oil doesn't bump it up too much but I just go by eye. Maybe try something like that for yourself, that way you can add in what you want until your happy with the colour

You just need to keep experimenting. What oils are you using? You aren't using anything that is dark, are you? What company did you get your colors from? Will you post a link to their website for me? I'd like to look at the micas you're using and see if I can help. I'm just guessing they're really light colors to begin with and that's the issue. (Not that I'm any kind of expert on micas.) BTW: I think those soaps are lovely.

ETA: Never mind. "My Mica Obsession" is the name of the company. (I thought you were just obsessed with micas.)

Hey, I just thought of this: did you gel these or not? If you don't let your soap gel, the micas don't really "pop" the way (I think) they should. That mica madness thing I did was CPOPd. I also used bright colors and a teaspoon of the color. Also, did you let the mica sit in the OO for a few minutes to disperse/dissolve before you started to stir it so that it was smooth. (I think I wrote that down in the instructions when I posted the mica madness info. If I didn't, then sorry!!) That's something I discovered I was doing wrong when I first started using the micas. I wasn't letting the mica sit in the oil. I just smashed it down with the blender to get it all wet and then blended it until it was smooth. I've discovered doing it that way makes the color not fully disperse in the batter.

I looked at the My Mica Obsession website and was only able to see the cherry blossom and shiraz samples. But I'm not sure how accurate my monitor is. The cherry looks kind of bubble gum pink and the shiraz is more of a rose. So, based on what I've seen, I think you got pretty good colors. If you want them bolder, you'll need to use bolder micas (or mix colors together). You can use more mica to get a darker color, but if you use too much, you'll stain your wash cloth and maybe get colored suds. However, I don't think you're going to get anything but "wishy washy colors" when you use pastels. I made a soap using pastel micas and I used A LOT of mica. I CPOPd it, too, which I do to the majority of my soap. They're very washed out and faded looking. I probably won't use them together again in a design. It's not bad, but it's not my best work, either.

http://www.mymicaobsession.com/#!mica/cvkw

Yes I gelled. Yes I CPOPed. Yes they sat in OO for ages.
Shiraz is a deep dark burgundy colour. Cherry blossom is a bright light pink (that one is probably pretty accurate) Watermelon is a really dark bright red. Watermelon colour. It is nothing like the yellow produced. I used heaps more than you. I did 1/2 tsp first the 1tsp for 130g oil about 200g batter. No noticeable difference and no bright pop at all.

The colours were gorgeous before they cured. They faded about 100%. So disappointing.
If I just squeezed them on as a pure line they would probably still fade, but I will try that next.

Last edited:
I am sorry they didn`t come out as you wanted to, but oh boy, they look good enough to eat, gurrrrl...

I have found the Vibrance mica`s from Nurture to be really intense in colors, even in smaller doses. And they don`t fade or morph. I really like them. I am going to get the whole set in a larger size. I haven`t tried the red and pink yet, but have orange, blue, green, yellow, and purple (haven`t tried that one yet, I might use it in the challenge)

They are so easy to use, mix and spread, and you can get them to look pastel`y by mixing with white. So versatile.

I don't think it is anything you are doing. I think it is the micas themselves. I know the website states CP stable unless otherwise stated; however, there are no samples of what the micas look like in CP soap. So, you really have no way of knowing if those micas were actually tested in CP by the seller to determine if they're stable, if they fade or if they morph. As the watermelon obviously does. Perhaps you can contact Clara of Auntie Clara's soap to find out where she gets her micas (I'm assuming she actually uses micas). South Africa is a lot closer to Australia than America is, so the shipping would probably be a lot less (presumably). You can also check with Petra at the Petra Seifen Kunst blog. I once asked her where she got her colorants and she posted a link to the site. I can search the Facebook forum for that if you want me to. I checked out the company, and they had amazing micas, but it wasn't cost-effective for me since there are so many companies her in the States that sell micas. We take things for granted in America and assume everyone has the millions of choices that we do. What's your postal code? I'll look at shipping rates from here to you. Companies don't always offer the least expensive rates, but maybe we can get the supplies shipped here and I can repackage it and forward it to you.

I think Shunt is in Australia. She can probably direct you to a mica supplier there that has the saturated colors you're after.

By the way, I think the soap came out like creamy sherbet even if it wasn't what you intended. :)

I think Shunt is in Australia. She can probably direct you to a mica supplier there that has the saturated colors you're after.

By the way, I think the soap came out like creamy sherbet even if it wasn't what you intended. :)

Me. I'm in Michigan, but Relle can possibly help out.

I always get those confused, too. BWAHAHAHAHAHA! (Sorry. I'll quit now.)

I always get those confused, too. BWAHAHAHAHAHA! (Sorry. I'll quit now.)

The supplier gets them from the USA. Postage from the US to Sydney area is horrific. Thanks for the offer but I want to narrow down colours that work that I can get on a regular basis locally.
We have a supplier who sells Brambleberry stuff but this mica supplier is supposed to be great. She has got some neons (I guess they might be equal to vibrancy?) which I guess means bright. I was trying to go for lip safe but I'll try that.
I guess that's why you do testers. I just really wanted watermelon. I'll try some of the powdered dyes next.

Last edited:
The supplier gets them from the USA. Postage from the US to Sydney area is horrific. We have a supplier who sells Brambleberry stuff but this mica supplier is supposed to be great. She has got some neons which I guess means bright. I was trying to go for lip safe but I'll try that.
I guess that's why you do testers. I just really wanted watermelon. I'll try some of the powdered dyes next.

Look at the ingredients before you buy. Micas can be made of any kind of colorant under the sun -- oxides, ultramarines, dyes and lakes. The ones that are for instance oxide colors + titanium dioxide could be pastel in CP soap. If you add more you are adding more of the color and more white at the same time.

Don't buy anything that includes manganese violet because that colorant fades to gray. Your supplier has some of those and incorrectly calls them stable in CP soap. Not so.

Micas can be bright and colorful but you didn't end up with the ones you really wanted. I don't know if it's practical for you to order from TKB trading but they show you how the colorants look in CP at 4 different usage rates.

Just sent you a message. I'm in NZ and really happy with the micas from Mica Your World. Shipping should be way cheaper than from the states :)

I talked to the supplier. The watermelon was a new unlisted and untested colour she sent me to try and get a particular colour. She offered a refund. I'm really happy with the other micas. I think the others are meant to be pale colours.
I'll try neons but will probably just use micas for lines I soap- my original intention. [emoji2][emoji2][emoji2]

I talked to the supplier. The watermelon was a new unlisted and untested colour she sent me to try and get a particular colour. She offered a refund. I'm really happy with the other micas. I think the others are meant to be pale colours.
I'll try neons but will probably just use micas for lines I soap- my original intention. [emoji2][emoji2][emoji2]

Yay! Great news!! Good for you! I hope you don't give up on the micas completely, though. The "brights" and the "vibrants" are really bright and vibrant. It just depends on what's in the mica mix. Maybe she'll start carrying some of the bolder shades. That's something you could request. The worst that can happen is she'll say no. But you are probably not the only one looking for bold, saturated and bright colors.

Yay! Great news!! Good for you! I hope you don't give up on the micas completely, though. The "brights" and the "vibrants" are really bright and vibrant. It just depends on what's in the mica mix. Maybe she'll start carrying some of the bolder shades. That's something you could request. The worst that can happen is she'll say no. But you are probably not the only one looking for bold, saturated and bright colors.

She does have some neons. It was probably my choices. She doesn't have test samples so it makes it difficult to know what they will be like in CP soap.

Latest posts

Back