micas in soap versus bath bombs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marilyn Norgart

Reaction score
I have been doing a lot of reading on micas and bath bombs. but it has me questioning why a mica can be not safe for use on lips but can still be ok in soap--I wash my face with all my soap which in turn gets on my lips

I guess I was questioning the bath bomb part--I suppose its cuz people don't rinse off after their bath bomb bath. any way I am grateful that I saw a post on it. now I need to change what I had planned on making--at least I caught it before. most of what I made are safe colors, just have to toss two sets of BB. maybe I will just use myself and rinse off after

I guess I was questioning the bath bomb part--I suppose its cuz people don't rinse off after their bath bomb bath. any way I am grateful that I saw a post on it. now I need to change what I had planned on making--at least I caught it before. most of what I made are safe colors, just have to toss two sets of BB. maybe I will just use myself and rinse off after

I rinse off.

thanks for you input you guys. I have been re-searching and just cant find the reason certain micas aren't supposed to be used does anybody know how to find that?

I think what they mean is something that will be applied to lips, which would have a possibility of being ingested by licking the lips (i.e. lipstick or lip balm). A wash off product, like soap, isn't something you'd be licking off your lips.

do you not have this law in Canada--I have read the law regarding this and I would think it would have to do with licking the lips also but it applies to bath bombs also--I guess I don't understand it

In the USA, the FDA regulates the use of colorants in cosmetic products. There are three categories that describe where a colorant can be used: Eye Area, Generally (includes lipsticks) and Externally. It is possible that colorants can be only approved for one category e.g. a colorant can be suitable for use externally (eg. soap and bath bombs) and not suitable for the lip area.

This website might help
https://www.fda.gov/cosmetics/cosmetic-ingredient-names/color-additives-permitted-use-cosmetics

It is very unlikely that you will ingest any significant amount of a product that is applied externally but you will definitely ingest small amounts of your lipstick so the restrictions for products such as lipsticks are usually tighter.

Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back