Mica Suspension in beeswax/moustache wax...?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AhZo

Reaction score
Apologies if this is self evident or obvious with a modicum of experience.
My brain cannot access proper steps or organise information properly.
I tried several searches here, but found little relating to what I am thinking - keep in mind I am not just 'out there' but usually around the corner, down the block, in a coffee shop, left my coffee on the table to use the washroom.

Simple moustache wax recipe, if i do it from memory I would miss something, but basically a carrier oil, beeswax or cera bellina wax, and EO or FO.
If I were to add mica to this, would it likely suspend?

I should be able to answer this question myself and I apologise if it is tiresome or seems pedantic. When I get too annoying, I will be gone - no worries! (It is coming. eeek!)

But I have a strange desire to make moustache wax with sparkles in it and I am about to whip up a bit.
If no responses, will try it, just not sure what stage yet.

Probably something out on the market like it already. Something like DiscoStache.

It looks like you found your answer, or at least that it is something to try. I wouldn't have known. I just want to say, dear @AhZo, rest assured that you are never annoying.

Do you think that is just mica in theirs? I can not imagine using a dye that would transfer to the hair.
Granted I am looking at just adding a bit of 'disco', or rather sparkly mica/cosmetic grade glitter, so coverage does not need to be that intense.
I fear I am trying too many things with the next batch, but then again I figure why not?

Too many things:
- someone suggested cera bellina wax, so just got that
- someone suggested a recipe with avocado oil, so also just got that
- also want to try pouring the wax into a lip balm tube, well, had those already

must...overcome...negative...programming....! LOL

And thank you for the kind words. I know I am extremely annoying in person - trying to be on my best behaviour here, but also trying to be cognisant of what parts of my brain are shutting down.

Do you think that is just mica in theirs?
I took a look at the listing and it is cosmetic grade pigment. Since they are showing several different color options on the same mustache, my guess would be that the color washes out. But I have never looked into a product like mustache wax, so I really don't know.

I think mica would give sparkle, but not permanent color. Try making a little and test it on a very small area - maybe even a small area of hair before using it on facial hair just in case. There is also food grade edible glitter: Iridescent Edible Glitter | Moonstone Prism Powder For Drinks

I took a look at the listing and it is cosmetic grade pigment. Since they are showing several different color options on the same mustache, my guess would be that the color washes out. But I have never looked into a product like mustache wax, so I really don't know.

I think mica would give sparkle, but not permanent color. Try making a little and test it on a very small area - maybe even a small area of hair before using it on facial hair just in case. There is also food grade edible glitter: Iridescent Edible Glitter | Moonstone Prism Powder For Drinks

Yeah, I do not want permanent colour. My beard & stache are already grey and I use Manic Panic Blue Steel to try to move it towards a more Mrs Slocumb effect - well, hoping to go full on 'old lady lavender' since I am definitely old! LOL

THANK YOU for the link to food grade glitter.
I had no idea that somethign like that existed and now I am thrilled!
I was just going to use cosmetic grade, but still: glitter stache = DiscoStache!

Thank you for your take on the listing. I sincerely appreciate the educated review & input - like: REALLY appreciate it.
I have a very difficult time organising the data in my head, despite using big words so I can sound more photosynthesis.

Update Overload:
Just Poured
Made some adjustments so I could pour 1 tin + 1 lip balm tube of my regular (this time Gardenia scented for my "GirlieMan" line of beard care products! (joke)), and 1 tin + ~1/2 tube of the same formulation but with "White Diamonds Fine Mica" (cosmetic grade, safe for eyes apparently...maybe I coudl use it as a shadow...? I like shiny)

Looks like the mica suspended as hoped.
Note: I have never used stache wax in a tube, but considering how often I use it (since I have a VERY long & bushy stache specifically for this reason - keeps it out of my food, eh?) and the way I use it, this seems to make some semblance of 'sense'. Time will tell. I may have dreamed it. I may be dreaming this. Can you fly?

It is cooling now.
I would try it tonight, but I have to make the marinade for birria for tomorrow - the guajillo & ancho are toasted, the tomatoes, garlic, and onions grill charred - just time to mix it all with other stuff into the food proc, and then park my fat ass on the sofa and play video games with Ontario wine and homemade CBD edibles and hope I can distract myself from the excrutiating pain of existence for those of us with fibromyalgia.
Note: Not making birria as a stew - i did this by accident the first time: I forgot the extra broth when I put it in the slow cooker in the morning and it made some of the most amazing beef for tacos...so, tacos & fries tomorrow! Because we LURVES tacos & fries!

Edit to Add:
Remelted it and added more mica. Not sure of exact amounts, but it is roughly 1.5 "batches" where a 'batch' fits comfortably in a 15ml container...so, 15ml-ish (I find making moustache wax that more sticks to the containers I mix things in, so I actually make more than that). Ended up adding a whole teaspoon of mica, so that affects the volume. It is a superfine sparkly white mica and makes the moustache wax look like one of my eyeshadows. It does not read *DISCO SPARKLE* on my stache, but it it seems to give a lovely sheen (note: Mostly white stache, still too much pepper in it so far, alas).
I might try this with a holographic silver glitter, but as it stands, I think adding this mica to my stache wax is going to be a regular thing - if recipes out in the wild (interwebz) can include brown or black , then I can enhance my grey, because eff the culture of idolising youth - grey hair is awesome.

Last edited:
Back