Mica Storage

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fountains324

Reaction score
I am new to using mica’s instead of the store bought colorants and my question is once you make it what’s the best storage method? Also I have been using 1/2 tsp mica to one tbsp of alcohol. Is this ok? And one last question, how much colorant can you use especially when doing small or large batches? Thanks is advance for any help.

I don’t mix my micas with alcohol as in MP it can cause it to set up. I just mix my micas right into the MP until it’s the desired color. I should state I don’t do a lot of MP. Mostly for embeds.
Are you asking he to store the micas or soap with micas. My needs to be wrapped once made. I keep my embeds in a tightly sealed container.

I mix my micas with glycerine (20g glycerine to 5g mica) to use in MP. I use alcohol only if I'm painting on embeds.

I store my premixed colors in a 2oz travel bottle (the type with the flip disc cap) and a marble to help with mixing as the mica will settle out.

I am also thinking of premixing my mica's (1tsp of colorant to 1 tbsp of oil?? Right? Lol) because, while I enjoy soaping, prepping colors is right up there with the washing up afterwards. My plan is to use a small squeeze bottle 2oz or so, mixed with a light oil & with a drop of vitamin e oil for extra insurance...and stainless steel ball bearing...has anyone tried it this way and found it easier? Any forseable cons to doing it this way? Man I hate mixing color lol. TIA

Vitamin E oil doesn’t work as well to prevent rancidity as Rosemary Oleoresin (ROE). ROE is expensive but you only use very small amounts, and typically add them to the entire jug of oil. That way, you don’t need to add it later to any oils used for the batch or for colors.

You can use the search feature to locate threads on ROE usage rates.

Vitamin E oil doesn’t work as well to prevent rancidity as Rosemary Oleoresin (ROE). ROE is expensive but you only use very small amounts, and typically add them to the entire jug of oil. That way, you don’t need to add it later to any oils used for the batch or for colors.

You can use the search feature to locate threads on ROE usage rates.
That's a great tip!! thanks so much!

I take it though, from the response (or lack thereof) that not many soapers take this route, even though it would appear to make the process more streamline...🤷‍♀️

I have kept leftover mica mixed with oil, and after several weeks, it developed an odd (rancid) smell. Perhaps the ROE would help but you would need such minute amounts that a jeweler’s scale would be needed. I would be concerned with the ROE tinting the MP to a brown shade though.
I have mixed micas in alcohol for melt and pour, but it seemed to change the texture of final soap (it became rubbery), it might be worth a try though, perhaps it depends on the brand of MP.
As a rule I try to stick with liquid colorants for MP, but I have also tried the color blocks from Bulk apothecary (it’s melt and pour with a high color dose that you chop and mix with your uncolored MP). Maybe you could make your own?

I apologize that I hadn't read further up the thread to note that the OP was referring to MP, not CP or HP. My response in post #5 was for CP or HP. For MP, I mix the mica right into the melted base to get the color I want.

I have also tried premixing mica with oil for CP, and wasn't that happy with results, either. I didn't get rancidity, but I did get clumps of mica that wouldn't re-mix very well if the bottle sat for more than about a week.

I mostly make MPs and use MiCA straight to the base. It is not required to be dissolved with either glycerin or IPA

Back