Mica question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffynnon

Reaction score
Hi all, ok silly question time! I just unmolded some cp soap that I made yesterday, I put pretty swirls of dispersed mica on the top - it is only my 3rd batch so experimenting with different recipes and techniques. My question is - the mica is still wet, will this dry out as the soap cures?

The soap itself is still soft - I should have left it in the mold longer - I need to learn patience as well as soaping I think!

Thanks

it was mixed with sweet almond oil 1 tsp mica to 1 Tbsp oil - I will try the alcohol next time. thanks

It should absorb, but it really depends on how much you used. I mix my mica with glycerine, it seems to stay put and absorb a bit better than oil (but I gel, which maybe part of the problem with oil). I might have to try Shari's mica and alcohol trick. I've done that to paint m&p embeds, but didn't think to try it for swirling on the top of CP. I do have to be careful with the glycerin to use a light hand, so maybe alcohol will help my heavy handedness.

I mix my mica with oil, but just enough to make it fluid. When I do a mica drizzle, the oil absorbs into the soap. Unless you were heavy handed with the mica drizzle I would think the oil will absorb into your soap as well. It only takes a little bit of oil in mica (like drops) to make a pretty swirl on top.

Edit: I see amd replied as I was typing. I will have to try the alcohol mix too. Good idea Shari - I hadn't thought of that.

thanks for the replies, I will keep an eye on the bars over the next few days and see how they get on.

I've had this problem too when I over do my mica drizzles.

Give it a few days. If the mica/oil is still wet after that time, you can gently blot the wet mica/oil with a paper towel or tissue to help dry it up. But give it some time first, because you risk smudging and smearing the mica when you blot. Or at least I do. ;)

Back