Mica question (s)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good point, @SoapWitch! Gelling also makes such a difference. Recently one of my batches did not gel (long story), and the color difference was astonishing. If you set that soap next to a gelled soap with the same colorants, you wouldn't think I had even used the same micas, let alone the exact same recipe to a T.

Good point, @SoapWitch! Gelling also makes such a difference. Recently one of my batches did not gel (long story), and the color difference was astonishing. If you set that soap next to a gelled soap with the same colorants, you wouldn't think I had even used the same micas, let alone the exact same recipe to a T.

Indeed! I read/saw somewhere that yellows don't always gel darker. Is that true? I don't gel at all, so I don't have working understanding of this process.

No gelling for you at all? Yet yours are always so bright, with true colors. So interesting to hear how everyone soaps differently.

Yellows are always tricky for me. Mostly I find that gelling makes the colors brighter, but I've had some colors, including yellow, get darker when gelled. And some yellows have gone mustard on me when gelled. So sad.

Guess its back to the mica drawing board for me lol. I just cut last nights soaps. I added the mica and AC directly to the soap batter. I have some uncolored soap throughout. I poured really nice and fluid and didnt see it as i poured. The “Thin Blue Line” is thicker than i wanted anyway so i will have to try again.

This soap behaved really weird for me on several levels. I expected ash on top, but it seems that ash goes all the way through? Or something?

There was an orange oily substance on top (also on top of the single cavity molds i poured leftovers in). But i could wipe it off.

It is one of my regular recipes, so im not sure if it was the recipe, FO (which i have used before) or the colorants.

SB until emulsion, separated color containers and SB each container. I whisked in FO when i was ready to pour (Elements Sensual Secrets).

The first layer i poured pretty thin, so had to wait about 10 minutes to be able to pour the next layer. Id call the blue medium trace.... for some reason this mica always speeds up a bit. Then the top black was also a thin batter. I actually had to let the loaf sit a bit before i moved it to the oven.

CPOP 180 and turned off the oven immediately after putting it in, with the light on til morning.

Everything seemed to behaving so nicely pre-cut. Im really disappointed.

Attachments

• 69ED68AD-3D75-417E-B8A3-775DA1984FB9.jpeg
    69ED68AD-3D75-417E-B8A3-775DA1984FB9.jpeg
    169.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 9D4563F3-7CB7-4A25-887F-458F8B1B828C.jpeg
    9D4563F3-7CB7-4A25-887F-458F8B1B828C.jpeg
    278.6 KB · Views: 25
I think there is something wrong with this soap. Even if my colors are wrong....i have over a hundred bars made with this exact recipe with the same mold. 12 hours after cutting, they still feel greasy. The orange oily spots that i wiped off have returned...also still wipe-offable. I only used 2oz of FO. I used the other 2oz of a 4oz bottle in another bar and its beautiful, lightly scented.

I have gotten into the habit of cleaning my bowls etc right after soaping because i hate the hardened soap stuck on everything if i let it dry to soap before cleaning. Well, this time i didnt have room for one bowl in the sink, and i let it sit for later. 2 days after, its just a greasy layer of batter in the bowl.

The only thing different is that its a new batch of palm oil. I wonder if thats it?? Its the same brand that i always use. I melted it in the microwave as usual, but i did notice that there were “floaters” all throughout the melted oil. Like specks of undissolved oil bits. It usually melts clear.

Maybe one of my measurements was off, but im pretty careful, like i will remove one granule of lye at a time to make it an exact measurement in grams lol.

I think this batch is going to be an actual throw away. I will let it cure just to see what happens. As it stands though, i dont think i would let another person use this soap.

@Catscankim I'd give some time to see what happens. You might have some FO or oil leaching out, and if so, those often reabsorb within a few days to a week.

The palm floaters sound weird. I don't use palm much, so maybe someone who does can help with that.

Back to the original mica question, I haven't had great luck with blending anything directly into my batter. I always get streaks when I try that. FWIW, I think they look cool - the streaks and flecks look intentional and add interest.

I know this original post morphed into my whining about my soap lol. I guess because i used the adding mica directly into tis soap method lol.

Im gonna have to experiment. My lard soap is my most well behaved recipe. So maybe i will try splitting a batch and try the mica both ways and see what happens.

My first thought is, are you positive you had a stable emulsion and when you poured your first layer was it showing any signs of trace at all, or was it still just at emulsion?

Some FOs can actually reverse trace, so the other, perfect, batch you made with this FO - was that also just at emulsion when you poured, or did that have a definite trace? And is your problem child as firm as your other at about the same amount of time after pouring/unmolding/days out of the mold?

I would also wait a bit before you decide to toss it. If for no other reason than to just see what it does a few days or a couple of weeks later.

My first thought is, are you positive you had a stable emulsion and when you poured your first layer was it showing any signs of trace at all, or was it still just at emulsion?

Some FOs can actually reverse trace, so the other, perfect, batch you made with this FO - was that also just at emulsion when you poured, or did that have a definite trace? And is your problem child as firm as your other at about the same amount of time after pouring/unmolding/days out of the mold?

I would also wait a bit before you decide to toss it. If for no other reason than to just see what it does a few days or a couple of weeks later.
Now you say it....i have been playing with light trace vs emulsion. So i guess its very possible i was wrong. I will let it cure and see before i toss.

im pretty sure it wasnt the fo. But then i could be wrong there too. I will hang on to it.

Update, im gonna throw this batch away. This isnt dos, i had the orange crud since the minute I took it out of the oven...cpop. It started as orange oily stuff that i kept wiping off, now it dried to a crust. And the bars still feel greasy.

Attachments

• 61F1BD73-6C23-470F-B61A-37C476623551.jpeg
    61F1BD73-6C23-470F-B61A-37C476623551.jpeg
    74.6 KB · Views: 16
Update, im gonna throw this batch away. This isnt dos, i had the orange crud since the minute I took it out of the oven...cpop. It started as orange oily stuff that i kept wiping off, now it dried to a crust. And the bars still feel greasy.
Understandable. Have you tried a tiny batch of just the palm to make sure it's the problem child?
Alternatively, you could buy another batch of palm and try melting it. If the new one has the same problem you might need to switch suppliers.

I dunno. I used up the rest of that palm oil with no problem. I must have measured something wrong.

edit

omg i just plopped it in the trash. That was one of the most heartbreaking things i have ever done lol
So far I've only had to do that with tiny trial batches. I'm certain I'll be in tears when I finally have to do that with a loaf. 💔

I made a bad batch once and gave it to a furniture painter (when chalk painting furniture was a "thing") to clean his brushes with. I didn't feel nearly as bad as if I had to "throw" it away :eek:

Latest posts

Back