Mica powders

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, real candle dyes are your best bet. They actually dissolve in your wax. Unlike micas or pigments which never actually dissolve. You may not be able to see them in the candle but their molecules are enough to clog wicks.

Iv got some remains of wax melts that iv poured into some glasses with a wick for outdoor candles so if they soot or clot its not waste or harm done! Ill post and tell you how i get along but iv only heard its not worth it comments on the subject. Iv been using mica in melts though and yesterday tried a melt with a candle dye and mica in to see if it stops it from looking silly when the mica just sinks to the bottom of the melter!

Ill post when iv tried one of the 'waste' candles and share my experience

I think I searched on this section for Micas.
I did try it only because I was farting around with wax I had laying around. DON"T PUT IT IN A RUBBER/SILICONE MOLD. It doesn't come out easily !

Iv found mica is a NIGHTMARE to get out of most things i have a separate washing up bowl, towel, bowls and jugs just for the use of mica because of how much faffing about it takes to clean it up afterwards that way i can just pop them to one side and they dont matter as much

Iv found mica is a NIGHTMARE to get out of most things i have a separate washing up bowl, towel, bowls and jugs just for the use of mica because of how much faffing about it takes to clean it up afterwards that way i can just pop them to one side and they dont matter as much

I use a spray bottled of rubbing alcohol to clean up micas and it works extremely well. Alcohol & a paper towel gets up any mica mess I've had to deal with.

I use a spray bottled of rubbing alcohol to clean up micas and it works extremely well. Alcohol & a paper towel gets up any mica mess I've had to deal with.

Thank you for the tip :) i use 90% alcohol alot for general cleaning but when soap and wax stuff with fo in them is concerned i just prefer to keep things separate from anyways so it works fine for me i have to say I do find alcohol is great for cleaning moulds silicone and metal ones though(metal ones only for candles and melts not soap of course) mica or not it gets em spotless with a bit of effort with a paper towel i get the massive blue rolls they use in shops much cheaper than kitchen towel was going through that a roll a day when cleaning and gives me summit do while watching tv at night!:thumbs:

Thanks for the tip about shop towels (the blue paper towels.) I'll take a look and see if anyone carries them at a lower price then regular kitchen paper towels. They certainly are sturdier. I used to keep a roll in the trunk of my car, but it's been awhile since I bought one, so I don't know how the pricing compares.

Thanks for the tip about shop towels (the blue paper towels.) I'll take a look and see if anyone carries them at a lower price then regular kitchen paper towels. They certainly are sturdier. I used to keep a roll in the trunk of my car, but it's been awhile since I bought one, so I don't know how the pricing compares.

I know im not in america but it costs about 15 quid for 6 rolls which are worth about 4 or 5 kitchen rolls per blue roll i know kitchen roll is thicker but even doubled up i find they last much longer and except really scrubbing at something iv not found anything it doesnt work with yet i just use a scrubbing sponge if it needs something stronger :). And with cleaning lots of candle and wax moulds its much easier, quicker and cheaper for me at least to use for that and general cleaning

Back