Mica powder storage?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mamansavon

Reaction score
How do you store your mica powders so they're easy to use?
Mine came in little ziplock bags but the powder clings to the plastic and sprays out a bit each time I open it.
I'm wondering if little pots would be better?
I'd love to hear any suggestions
Thank you

I use these from Dollar Tree (in the US) to re-package the micas that don't come in jars:
1623852738979.png

You may be able to find something similar in the UK.

I like the flip top lid, so I don't have to unscrew the top each time I want to dip a scoop in to get the colorant.

I also have a few of these spice containers I got at a second hand store:
1623852957564.png
They are available on Amazon, although they are more expensive. But the space they take up is more convenient due to their shape.

@earlene

I really, really like those containers and was ready to order a case of them, but then looked at the size...you must get your Mica by the pound. I'm still only ordering 1 oz and 4 oz, but I will most definitely be making a trip as the size if good for a lot of my other stuff...salts, TD, Kaolin Clay, Beeswax, etc.

Agree that the Tupperware Spice Containers are expensive...way too expensive to use for Mica.

@earlene

I really, really like those containers and was ready to order a case of them, but then looked at the size...you must get your Mica by the pound. I'm still only ordering 1 oz and 4 oz, but I will most definitely be making a trip as the size if good for a lot of my other stuff...salts, TD, Kaolin Clay, Beeswax, etc.

Agree that the Tupperware Spice Containers are expensive...way too expensive to use for Mica.
No, not by the pound, they are on the big side, but a 4 ounce bag of mica from Micas & More fills the Dollar Tree jars about half-full. Oh, I just looked back at the link. They are not as big as the link says they are. They are definitely not 6.75 inches tall. They are more like 4 inches tall. Maybe they have made an error on the description or now have a bigger size. I had not noticed that discrepancy. When I see them in the store, I usually get a set.

I originally saw them in use by another soaper I know & asked her where she found those. Immediately after leaving her house, I found the first Dollar Tree I could find to get some more. Now whenever I see a Dollar Tree, it's the first item I look for, although they are not always in stock, so I've been to a few of their stores. The actual size is more like 4" x 3" x 4", at least all the ones I have are.

Back