Mica pencil line problem.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

franinfrance

Reaction score
Hi there

Yesterday, having watched a Soaping101 video, I decide to make a 2 colour soap with a pencil line of mica. I adored the picture and mine looks like it's going to be ok....EXCEPT - I unmoulded it after about 20 hours but as I sliced it with a long sharp knife, the mica was dragged down onto the cut side of the soap. Thus destroying the effect.:???:

My question; Is it likely that I should just give it another 24 hours to dry out and harden, thus stabilising the mica line, or is the knife maybe at fault and I need a cheese wire for a finer cut?
If anyone has had this happen, I would really appreciate your input.
Many thanks -

Fran

Mica Pencil line

Thanks to you both. I had never used mica before so was a bit nervous!! but can see exactly what you mean. I used a bright green mica in oil today to feather a pattern on the top of another soap....no wonder everyone loves this stuff!! It's so pretty! Best order some more:lol:

Question on a similar topic. Made my first mica line bar last night. Unmolded and cut one bar. Decided it was too soft so letting it air cure another 24 hours. Picked up the cut bar and the two soap layers came apart! Ideas?

Yup, that pencil line can be difficult to do. Have to get the amounts just right sometimes. I usually blow on mine after I get it sprinkled and followed sometimes with a few spritzes of alcohol.

Fran- did you make Soaping 101's soap that she calls 'Heavenly' at the end of the video? If so, that's one of my most adored soap designs of hers, too. I got brave and tried my hand at it last year after watching the video over and over for courage, and although it was a nerve-wracking experience for me to do (because I normally suck at pencil lines), it actually came out so lovely I could hardly believe I made it!

I turned mine on it's side to cut so that the mica lines wouldn't smudge or streak, and it worked quite nicely for me (I cut mine with my large kitchen knife, by the way).

I would do as Dixie suggested and just clean up your knife streaks with alcohol on a cotton swap. I think that should do the trick.

IrishLass :)

Back