Mica or dye?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Estintre

Reaction score
Hi!
What are you guys using to colour your soaps?
What are the differences or pros and cons between mica and dye? And which dye you go for?
I’m struggling to get more intense colour when using mica. For example for 1000g oil, divided in half if I’m colouring 2g of mica will not be very intense. On the photo it was 2g emerald green and 2g titanium dioxide so as you can see neither with or dark green.

Attachments

• 5E408288-CDA2-46E8-BB3A-A5857335E0A2.jpeg
    5E408288-CDA2-46E8-BB3A-A5857335E0A2.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
I’m using the same as others have posted - micas, oxides, pigments, clays. I did buy the lab colors from BB before I knew if I needed them or not, and haven’t bothered to dilute them to even try.
Investing in the neons has been a game changer for colors that pop, especially because I don’t CPOP/force gel, so I often get pastels or muted colors like yours.
Your soap is lovely, tho 🌸

Hi!
What are you guys using to colour your soaps?
What are the differences or pros and cons between mica and dye? And which dye you go for?
I’m struggling to get more intense colour when using mica. For example for 1000g oil, divided in half if I’m colouring 2g of mica will not be very intense. On the photo it was 2g emerald green and 2g titanium dioxide so as you can see neither with or dark green.
I think your soap is lovely. Like others, I use Mica, Pigments and Oxides. I hear that Neons will give you a more 'intense' color, but haven't tried them.

It is just the nature of soap (excluding M&P) not to have super vibrant colors. I always have to temper my excitement when I mix my colorants into my oils, that they will be more muted once the Lye Solution is added. And if you add too much of a colorant, you risk the colorant staining washcloths.

Latest posts

Back