Mica lines

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CpnDouchette

Reaction score
I've tried a couple of different methods of creating mica lines (dusting using a tea strainer, dissolving in isopropyl alcohol and spraying) but I find that it can lead to my bars splitting between the layers where the lines are. Cutting thicker bars would probably help but I like thin bars that I can use quickly!

I'm toying with the idea of dissolving in a light oil and then spraying a line. Has anyone tried this? My thinking is that the oil would be absorbed, leaving the mica but the two layers might be better bonded?

I have a couple of soaps that incorporate a mica line and the only time I've ever had a bar split was when I used too much. I use a small fine tea strainer to tap the mica on to the layer before (carefully) pouring the second layer and it's very rare that it splits.

I saw a video where someone sprinkled the mica on with a tea strainer and then used a pipette to blow small puffs of air and distribute it more evenly. Seemed to work very well, I plan to use this technique anytime I want to add a mica line.

I saw a video where someone sprinkled the mica on with a tea strainer and then used a pipette to blow small puffs of air and distribute it more evenly. Seemed to work very well, I plan to use this technique anytime I want to add a mica line.
I've seen that video! Yes, great idea.
I kind of dust it with a brush. I use my finger to kind of 'brush the brush' to get it dusty 😆😆😆 😂😂 What would be the correct way to say this?? 🤣🤣

Latest posts

Back